Hair donation charities

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Apr 5, 2004.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Does anyone know of any charities that accept hair donations under 10" in length? I want to go back to short hair, but my hair now is about 7", and both Locks of Love and Wigs for Kids only accept minimums of 10". Several people have told me that they though the minimum for some charities was 6", but I can't find them. If anyone knows of any charities that accept anything shorter, please share.
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I went through the same drama recently and ended up growing it out to 10" before cutting it. The only other alternative I could find was to sell the hair to a commercial wig maker, then donate the cash ....... I don't know why but that didn't feel right to me, even though it was the suggestion of the Australian Cancer Council.
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The female singer for a band I used to be in had beautiful curly red hair that she had grown very long...down to the bottom of her back. One day she just got a bug and cut it all off and went with a super short do. She called up a wig company to ask if they'd buy her hair but they told her that they only buy Asian women's hair because it's thick and tough and can stand being cleaned and dyed and all that and then still be put into a wig. Strange...she had really thick hair.

brad cook
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im going to wait till my hair is really long before I cut it again for this reason.

5. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Would they buy the hair of someone that's only 50% Asian?
  6. what about some dreads?

I have no plans on cutting my hair but when I do...
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Does anyone know if they buy really long mustaches?

brad cook

ps - Please don't take this thread where you all want to take it now.
  8. jade

Mar 8, 2002
    Canadian Cancer Society

They have a bunch of canadian organizations listed that only require a minimun length of 8 inches.
  9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Thank you, Jade. I'm going to call some of them this afternoon. :)