Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hair -soundtrack

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Quzumm, Mar 31, 2001.

1. Quzumm

Quzumm

Sep 25, 2000
    Trondheim, Norway
    Does anybody know who played bass on the Hair soundtrack?

2. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    i like the mastubation, fellatio song

3. on the broadway sound track i looks like a guy named Jimmy Lewis played on it.
    you can find more info about him here
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=Bp1967ui0h0jg

i couldn't find anything about the guy who played on the movie version, the two disk sound different enough that i think it may not be the same guy that played on both

4. I've been wondering that myself.. the bass playing on the movie soundtrack is so killer. Someone once told me it was Larry Graham, but I don't think that's correct. Then, someone else told me that he is 99% sure that it was Wilbur "Bad" Bascomb. I'm still not positive.

5. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Quzumm, I don't know who did Hair but some time ago I asked a similar question about 'Jesus Christ Superstar'. There is some amazing bass playing on the original LP. If you can find it on Napster, check out 'What's the Buzz'.

6. Don't know about either the movie or broadway cast versions, but Barry playedbass on The Cowsills'
    single.

omigod, I can't believe I know that.
    Please don't ask who The Cowsills were.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Here's a hint-
    ...The Partidge Family were modeled after The Cowsills. ;)

8. boer9509

boer9509

Dec 27, 2004
    He or she may be right. Check http://www.galtmacdermot.com/newpulse.html. I'm very curious if there is more music available with or from this bass player (and if it's just as energetic / propulsive as the rifs on "Hair").

9. The CD I have is the original recording from 1968, and it lists Jimmy Lewis as the bassist. DOes anyone know where I could buy the transcriptions for this musical? I just want to learn it alone at home for fun.

10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Those were great times for bass players as they were allowed to burn on a track.

11. I recently saw it on stage in Toronto. I had never heard of it, and for soem reason did not listen to the cd before the show. When the band started, all I could think of was"Whoa this guy is amazing, and had a wicked tone!" I wish I still rembered the bassists name, he was great. he must of been playing a P-bass.

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The Original Cast recording fom 1968 is vastly different from the movie soundtrack from 1979.

No idea about a full bass transcription, but I was able to find the chord changes online when I was looking for the lyrics a couple of years ago. My old computer with the URL crashed or I'd share it, but a simple Google search will yield results. They might be enough to help you work on your ear for figuring out the rest.

13. Didnt Larry Graham play bass on that song?

14. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Thread revival: saw the movie last night; easily the lousiest Milos Forman movie I've ever seen, hard to believe it's the same guy who gave us Amadeus and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, which makes me wonder what the UA execs were smoking at the time. And the new arrangements of the tunes didn't feel that good to me for the most part, further eroding the lack of authenticity that so horribly and completely plagues the film, as compared with various theatrical productions I've seen over the years.

BUT the bass playing blew my mind - a late-'70's funkified update of the original late-60's book, with some well-placed slaps and pops, some killer slurry double-stop work in the high register, and lots of Rocco Prestia-fingerstyle 16th notes. Killer, killer playing!

So this morning's webcrawl demonstrates it was Wilbur Bascomb and Bernard Purdie on the soundtrack date. Again, I didn't like hearing mid-late 70's techniques applied to songs intended to evoke the late '60's, but the bass playing was superb.

So my short webcrawl suggests that Bascomb is a P-bass player, but the soundtrack sure sounded like a Stingray to me? Am I out to lunch? Any opinions from others?

15. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Sounds just like a P bass to me, sort of similar to Freddy Washington's tone but a lot less aggressive.

16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I posted the same question around the same time as the OP, maybe a few years earlier... and wilbur emailed me telling me he did, and thanking me for the compliments I gave. :)

17. Wilbur Bascomb and Bernard Purdie were the rhythm section for the revival of Hair that started at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park in 2008 and then when the show moved to Broadway in 2009. I got to see it performed both places, and it was amazing to watch them play, especially Purdie - his playing is so relaxed and effortless.

I got to meet a few of the cast members at various times up in NYC, and they always said that they could tell whenever there was a substitute bass player - no matter how good the sub was, Bascomb had such a unique way of playing the book.

18. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    He did what? Use the Stingray? Or was it the Precision?

I'm very curious as there was a huge debate about this on Basschat here in the UK recently. Some were saying it was his custom P/J.

What a player though. He ain't called 'Bad' for nothing!

19. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I was referring to the OP. He told me he played on the soundtrack.