Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hair tie for string mute

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassiclybass, Jun 26, 2003.

1. bassiclybass

bassiclybass

Mar 1, 2003
    calif
    I"ve seen Victor Wooten and Bill Dickens use what looks like a cloth covered hair tie to mute unwanted strings from vibrating and possibly as a capo.Does anyone know what ther're using,how they're using them and where you can get them? Thanx

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's just a regular hair tie, just ask your girlfriend/mother/sister where they buy theirs.

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    When you say girlfriend/sister/mother... you don't mean one woman that is all three, do you? :D

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:eek:

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, the scary thing is that it's possible to be all that :eek: :D

6. Well, it's probably not tight enough to serve as a capo. Anyway, those things are better left to guitarists! :D

7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Wow I didn't know Cologne, Germany was in WVA.:D

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Are you saying - "Real Men" don't need no stinkin' girly hair ties to mute strings!! :mad:

;)

9. cedykoko

cedykoko

Dec 23, 2010
    Its a FretWrap anthony wellington Endorse that in GruvGear.. :)

10. yeah you can use a hair tie I use a fluffy black and white polkadot one that I grabbed from a girlfriend long-past some of them you just need to wrap around twice to get the tension right, and you really don't need much it's not trying to be a capo.

Starting on a little two handed tapping? Nice, but don't forget to keep it soulful. don't go easy listening on us now!

11. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    Scunci hair tie (umlaut over the u) with a lose cloth cover.

They are not a substitute for a capo.

12. WackoStu

WackoStu

Dec 6, 2010
    Sturtevant WI
    IS that the best hair tie for METAL? :bag:

13. jay tay

jay tay

Aug 12, 2009
    Manchester UK
    Victor Wooten used to use a normal hair tie... or as he called it in an interview a ponytail holder. I think Anthony Wellington started using it when he began playing with Vic. but now I think they both use the Gruv Gear ones. I use a hair tie just below the nut, it cuts down the unwanted vibration and noise from the strings, but still lets the note ring out, unlike a mute, plus it doesn't affect freted notes... just remember to move it back over the nut, if you are playing harmonics.