Hairbands on your bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rush1988, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Rush1988

Rush1988 Guest

May 12, 2002
    USA, GA, Atlanta
    I really have no idea what these are, but I noticed a hairband looking thing on my instructors nuck where the nut is, he has long hair so I thought that he might just keep it there for when he's playing and wants his hair back. I saw the Fender Bass Street pamphlet and noticed Ray Rienduae ( I have no Idea how to spell that name. ) had one also and at my last lesson my instructor was teaching me a song and i noticed that he slid it down onto the neck. Can somebody please tell me what this does?

2. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    ive seen it before, i guess hes using it to muffle the sound or summat.
    Or if he slid it up the neck he may be using it as a cappo the same way a guitarist does.

cant see why he just wouldnt buy a cappo tho :confused:

ah, i dunno.....
  3. Rush1988

Rush1988 Guest

May 12, 2002
    USA, GA, Atlanta
    He didn't use it as a capo because the open notes were still EAD and G. He only slid it up to the first fret and the song didn't have an F A# D# or G# in it. I think it was The band of gypsies, who knows.
  4. 99% chance it's used to dampen the strings when they slap or use a technique where its harder to mute a buncha strings.
  5. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    He probaly uses it as a string mute for two handed tapping.
  6. Rush1988

Rush1988 Guest

May 12, 2002
    USA, GA, Atlanta
    Thanks for the answers I think he does use it for two hand tapping, and slapping. Do you know what they are called and where to buy them?

7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I use them as dampeners, to avoid string ringing.
  8. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    It's for dampening. Victor Wooten does it, too.

Everyone stole the idea off of me.

9. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    ditto, use one on my sixer when i slap to muffle the sympathetically ringing strings.
  10. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Hey maybe you should ask your instructor:eek: :confused: But I would bet it is for muting strings. I would suggest learning muting techniques before you throw the sweatband on your bass. But that is just me.
  11. when using it should u have it just after the nut.
  12. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    1/2 aint bad for a learner :) :rolleyes: :cool:
  13. when should u use it when ur playing i used it for slapping and i could tell it sunded cleaner

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Its used as a dampner,and Bill Dickens was the first to utilize it when he first started playing his 7 string years ago.
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I thought this thread was about playing 80's metal on your bass.:confused:
  16. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    So did I, or stickers from these bands on a bass or something...

With the actual intended topic: this sounds like a shortcut, a way around bad technique. But I can see it helping, I'd do it if I didn't think it'd promote less concentration on muting.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

I thought the same
  18. i think in the victor wooten video he uses it when taping .it does help for othere things to
  19. I use one on my TRBJP....
  20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've seen Reggie wooten using them quite a bit on his guitar... I just thought it was funny...