1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hal Galper Videos

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Clay_Bass, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Hey all, came across these videos of a Hal Galper masterclass. Studying with Hal is some deep conceptual s**t, and these videos give a nice glimpse into his stuff.

Musical Vocabulary

there are some other videos too. Minimizing Emotion is a tape of someone's lesson with Hal. 20 some minutes long.

Hal's newest cd E Pluribus Unim is on emusic and stuff, I'm really enjoying it lately. If you're into these videos you should check out the tunes.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Great!

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Wow. Gold mine. Thanks, Clay Bass. I love Hal Galper.

PS... I just watched all the ones you linked to.... great stuff. On to the others later.

4. Great stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing ;)

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    So much truth. I felt the same when I went through his Forward Motion book.

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  6. When I studied with Hal, he would contradict himself more than occasionally, which I took as someone trying to reach for more in their concept and theories. I love how he is always reaching for new ideas and revelations... Very cool.

7. Definitely makes me want to pick up the book
    If you guys haven't already seen it, there's a great All The Things with Bergonzi and Hal up on youtube

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Lucky you... I love his vibe.

9. +1

10. I just got the latest trio side and it's very apparent to me that someone has finally taken the next step in the truly "conversational" approach to trio (and beyond that) playing since the Bill Evans Vangaurd Trio stuff. IMO.

11. Here's a cool one with my young friend here in Denver, Ben Markley.

12. Great vids, vital information and entertaining; Thanks

13. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Thank you for that. Although I don't play much piano, this is very helpful.

14. agreed. He'll admit frequently that his concepts are really just tricks to get you thinking differently. Having said that, they do really help. I feel like I've gotten a lifetimes worth of things to work on within this past year.

I've been working on playing the rubato stuff with Hal a bit, some really hard stuff! You have to listen like crazy.

15. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    Wow....some really nice stuff to get you into a different mindset. A lifetime of work right there.

16. jolkszost

jolkszost

Jun 10, 2009
    Detroit, MI
    This is good stuff. I think there should be a sticky thread for masterclass videos, it is great when jazz educators feel like sharing their knowledge for free. The ones with ray brown were good too, as were some mulgrew miller videos posted awhile back.

17. Just as a head's up, Hal has a book out called Forward Motion and he covers all of the stuff in the videos in more detail in the book. It really is one of the best book of conceptual material that I've seen.

Also, his new CD E Pluribus Unum is a killer CD.

mark

18. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That's a great trio... bassist Jeff Johnson is killer.
    The drummer is maybe my favorite drummer ever to play with, John Bishop. We played together with Joanne Brackeen.... he is a beautiful trio partner.

19. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Man, Hal really knocks this one out of the ballpark for me. I have Forward Motion but having him talk on video seems to carry so much more weight.

Prior to watching this, I've been actually doing alot of practicing away from the instrument. Singing phrases in 12 keys, knocking them around in different rhythms, running tunes in several different keys in my head. I've managed to memorize a couple tunes without even touching the instrument.

But for so long, I've been looking for the answer about how to hear faster. I've gone to pros and never got a satisfactory answer about how to IMAGINE faster. And to hear him say that it's all an mental exercise and that you need to find out how to scream the notes in your head - that's just pure gold. And already I've been able to pick up some speed. Even Giant Steps isn't as intimidating as it used to be. :cool:

I think this totally lines up with what we've been saying about intonation and learning lyrics - they fall both into the idea that things need to ingrained enough that good intonation and knowing the melody come natural so that when it comes time to solo, you are compelled to play what you hear.

20. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Same here... that is great stuff. But then, Hal Galper seems to always get to that "oh yeah" moment better than anybody I can think of. As great as he is at the piano, and that's really great... he has a singular gift as a teacher.