1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hal Galper Videos

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Clay_Bass, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Considering the state of trying to "teach" Jazz in our institutions of higher learning, I think all of Hal's stuff should be required listening, watching and reading for all those so called "teachers".

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    BTW... I heard most of his live "E Pluribus Unum" cd on the radio the other night... outstanding. Jeff Johnson and my buddy John Bishop tear it up on this one as well.

3. bassCanadabass

bassCanadabass Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Very insightful! Thank you for posting!

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I've been mulling over Hal's point about hearing lines screaming in your head as the impetus for playing them. But I'm thinking even further, shouldn't your time feel be super strong in your head as well? I think many of us beginner bassists rely on a kinestic reminder (like foot tapping) because that voice in our heads is extremely weak. I should be able to "play" a bassline mentally and have it as loud and screaming as any solo. Why not?

Even time feel, even figuring out how it feels to play on top or behind of the beat should start there - in our minds. More and more I'm practicing mentally, but it doesn't feel like it's something that is a logic practice but more of a right brain exercise - Akin to what they saw when they did a CT scan of Oliver Sachs as he mentally saw himself play Bach.

That said, you still need hands-on practicing as wiring the physical with the mental takes time for those synaptic responses to build and get faster.

EDIT: And with those thoughts, I have more of an appreciation of folks who do experimental abstract music .... if it's genuine, then those folks can hear sounds in that abstract manner and they're not BS'ing. I may or may not enjoy that particular sound, but still can appreciate it. I just don't think in that manner (at least not yet).

5. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Good teachers pick their resource material independently, and find ways to use them in measure with their students IMO. I understand your enthusiasm though.

6. Don't know if you do.
    My enthusiasm revolves around some new teaching methods being explored currently. Huy mentions Oliver Sachs . His book "Musicophelia" and several studies on the brain using new brain imaging tools including "Your Brain on Music" and "Your Brain on Jazz" have helped open a whole new world of how our brains learn and internalize music.
    Hal, along with Kenny Werner and Victor Wooten are big endorsers of these amazing new concepts.They may not endorse it publicly but it's basically the same concept.
    I've been ranting about this here @ TB for the last year or so and that is where my enthusiasm stems from.

7. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    One of the most important threads I recall seeing on TB in quite some time. Thanks for sharing!

8. Hal has never recommended this. His big "time" things are swell and decay (which will also greatly improve sound production!), and the 2,3,4,1/ second line stuff that I explained earlier in the thread. But for the most part Hal encourages us NOT to think about time or about "swinging".

That's not to say that you'd be wrong to try it. If it helps then it's good you know.

The rubato stuff is so crazy. I've been working on it a lot lately, and even have a few rough recordings playing it with Hal but it's still way to far in the beginning stages for me to share them! :)

Paul, I've been saying since I first subbed for one of Hal's combos that Hal should teach a rhythm section class 2 days a week all through freshman year at the very least. I have never learned as much as I have from Hal in all of the other school combo's put together. Hal is responsible for about 80-85% of where I am as a musician today and thats from only about 25 or so combo sessions with him. If you are ever in the Catskills area in NY or you ever see that he's coming to town take a lesson from him! I cannot recommend it enough! And he's touring quite a bit these days so keep an eye out.

9. As I said earlier in the Thread, that clip is from a clinic held here in Denver with my friend Ben Markley. I wasn't able to attend beacuse I was teaching myself.
    This is not new stuff really, it just seems that the time has finally arrived for a change in Jazz education and Hal has the great ability to verbalize it..
    Playing entire sets rubato with a trio is new ground, IMO. I think it's obvious that the ability to swing and cook hard is limited to just that.....swinging and cooking hard. Love it very much and there's no better feeling in the world, IMO. But when you play on a certain level, the time doesen't have to be stated in terms of the groove with the bass player hacking away quarter notes......if you swing.....you swing.
    Thses guys swing rubato.
    Bill Evans, Scott LaFaro and Paul Motian already proved that you don't have to be assigned typical rhythm section labels to pull off the natural penchant for the swing/groove aspect of playing this music.

10. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Yes, I've been here the whole time.:) Nice synopsis.

11. I was talking with one of Hal's piano students about the rubato a while ago and he said something that really made sense for me. "Its almost like the rubato gives the 4/4 more of a purpose". On the new CD when they go to 4 on How Deep Is The Ocean... woah! It swings so hard. Talk about moving the tradition forward!

nice video explaining the rubato stuff and a bit of performance from the trio

12. +1.
    At the risk of sounding redundant and not taking anything away from Hal and the trio, the Vangaurd recordings of Bill Evans show more that once the beauty of tension and complete release when Scott finally plays four on the floor after playing the conversational stuff for most of a tune. First time I heard that I thought I'd dropped a load on my pants.

13. greenbass5

greenbass5

Sep 16, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Great! I remember seeing Jeff play around Oklahoma City. He was using a Clevinger alot at the time. I think he had had an injury and it was easier for him to play. Nice guy too.

14. THANK YOU!!!