1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Half-defretting a neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Taylor Livingston, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I've been thinking about getting an SX and taking out the frets on the upper half of the neck. The problem is that, if I just take out the frets and fill them, I will have to compromise on the action, since making it high enough not to buzz on the fretted part would make the action on the fretless part too high.

The solution, I suppose, is putting some flat material on the fretless part of the neck to raise it up to the height of the frets. But what material? I don't want metal, because I want a more traditional fretless sound. What about wood veneer (possibly a few layers)? Would this wear way too quickly? Anyone here ever done this before?

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  3. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Right, but it would need to be less than 1/16" thick. Is there such thing as hardwood that thin? Is there any distinction between that and veneer, really? I was thinking someone around here must've done this already.

4. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    i suppose u could use a veneer...providing that you put a good layer of epoxy over it. dont know if thats the fretless sound u want tho