Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

half defretting

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Oct 23, 2004.

1. alrighty...after seeing the fretted/fretless bassin the bass player add i was really curious about it....then i saw the price tag :eek: :crying: ...but i have 2 questions kinda....

this is based on an SX jazz...

A. Would it work/intonate properly if i left frets 1-12 fretted then from there up fretless....

or

B. Would it work if i complletely defretted it except for the last (22nd?)and file it down a little so its just like a little plate for slapping

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I saw that thing. One feature that stands out is that the fretless part of the finger-board is raised higher than the fretted part. I have no idea if that is necessary or a gimmick.

3. I did this to my old peavey grind bxp. W/o raising the fretless section of the fingerboard you cant accurately hit the fretless notes because the string will rub up against the 12th fret. Also, w/o raising the fretless part your action is much higher making it very difficult to play. On top of all that, you will always hit the 24th fret(if you choose to leave it in for slapping) because it is higher than the fretless portion. I had to put wood veneer on the fretless half to make it work properly. All in all it's not worth the trouble,(makes for a very ugly bass). I ended up just making the whole thing fretless. Good learning experience though.

4. tally ho then...A's off the list..what if if completely de-fretted it except for the last fret and just file it down so its like a metal plate for slapping

5. I'd leave the last two frets on there just to be sure for slapping(pretty sure that's how the fretted/less is anyway). IMO it's going to be pretty hard to file the fretts down so they don't rub on high notes, and so there's enough fret left to get a good slap tone. You might be better off going all the way fretless and coating the fretboard w/ a really hard, glass like, enamel. Then you wouldn't need any frets for slapping(pedulla does this). On my rig, when I was playing fretless funk, I would just crank the highs to get a good brittle sound when popping. May not work for everyone.

6. This guy will epoxy any fretless, as well. http://www.woodwiz.com/guitarlab/epoxy.html

In fact, he'll even defret and set the thing up for you. From the photos he's put on his site, his work sure looks impressive.

7. id be doing it myself...anyway...i dont think it'd be worth $500us for postage to ship it to the states then back again