Half fretless?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Is it possible to do a half fretless fingerboard? For ex. fret 1-12 are fretted and 12-24 are fretless. Is it possible or does it get wrong with the intonation or anything?

Thanks! :bassist:
  2. I was trying to figure out how to do this too. I don't think there'd be a problem with intonation, but the action would probably suck pretty bad on the fretless part...
  3. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I played a half fretless Warrior once. It wasn't how you are thinking of it though. The whole fretboard was fretted, but the frets were partly covered with an epoxy or something. Sounded fretless, played like a fretted.
  4. Opaque, that sounds like another take on the old "micro" fret thing. They were frets that were so low that it was like a fretless in most of it's feel but the intonation was there.
  5. Why not just have a six-string bass in which the first 4 strings are fretted and the highest 2 strings are fretless? That way you could play beautiful mwah fretless melodies, and then turn around and play that funky music, white boy.
  6. I guess you'd just lower the fingerboard in the fretted section to make the crowns of the frets level with the fretless section.
  7. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
  8. FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
  9. Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    There's a half fretted version of the Ibanez Musician. Few were made. The concept doesn't appeal to me personally, but then again - I cannot add a nice funky bass line to mwaaah melodies on my fretless.