Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Half of a power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DBasica, Jan 15, 2003.

1. DBasica

DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    Just wondering if anyone knows of any small, lightweight mono power amplifiers.

I currently use and love my QSC PLX2402, but in reality I typically only use 1 channel (700 watts into 4 ohms).

I know nothing about electronics nor the praticality of something like this, but could a power amp be made that was just one channel, and therefore a lot smaller in size and weight? In my wild imagination, I'd see cutting the QSC in half in both size and weight. Or is there a lot of shared ciruitry in a stereo amp?

Perhaps Bob Lee has some thoughts on this.

Dan

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I don't know of any mono amps being used by anyone...my opinion would be...opt for the lighter/cheaper PLX1202. Bridged at 4 Ohm's it's still a whopping 1200 watts. It's good to have an amp rated at more output than your speakers as long as you're aware of it and don't crank it up too much.
    Sell your current amp, and option #2 would be opt for an even cheaper RMX series amp with even less wattage...although the RMX series are a bit heavier than your PLX.
    You'll have no problem selling that amp you currently have.

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    There's a lot more demand for two-channel amps than for mono blocks. Plus, if you run a two-channel amp in bridged mono, you essentially have a mono block but with inherently more flexibility because you can split it into two channels if you need to. Bottom line: look for the two-channel configuration to be the standard for some time to come.

So it sounds like a lower cost, lower-power amp run in bridged mono might be what you're looking for.

4. DBasica

DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    Thanks for the replies. I really like the PLX2402, and don't want to give it up. If I ever need the full 2400 watts, I've got 'em, plus I can use this to power a PA if needed. The flexibility is just too good. A lower wattage

I'm really thinking something small and light, but most amp heads with a pre weigh more than my QSC with less watts.

Reading some of the threads on the Walter Woods has me drooling, but I don't know if I could spend that much.

Unless the PLX specs I have are wrong, the 1202 is the same and weight as the 2402.

Dan

5. Hey, DBasica, your post count says 17, and you're already a supporting member? We need more people like you!

Welcome aboard!

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The PLX 1202 is several ounces lighter than the 2402 because it has a few dozen fewer components inside, due to its lower power point. But all five models are close enough in weight that we just call them all 21 pounds.

7. DBasica

DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    Thanks for the facts, Bob,

Thanks too Joris. This is a great resource, and being in the computer biz I know a site like this isn't cheap to run. $20 a year is a small investment.

Dan

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Aren't Walter Woods amps voiced specifically for upright bass? Either way, I'd still consider it - 1,200w in an amp the size of a cigar box - that's hard to ignor.