1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Half of All Americans Believe in Conspiracy Theories

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Unrepresented, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...ricans-believe-in-medical-conspiracy-theories

The article references just medical conspiracy theories, but apparently Americans are fond of conspiracies in general, see most of the divisive topics in TBOT.:|

The quality of a conspiracy theory that makes it different from other strongly held views is the evidence against a conspiracy theory is viewed as further support that there's a conspiracy.

Is this healthy for our nation to have such intense cynicism? What is the source of it? It'd be interesting to compare how we rank compared to other nations and cultures.

scorpionldr likes this.
  2. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    My posterior does.
    My anterior calls him a whack job.

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I don't really think of it as cynicism. I think of it more as mental illness.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

9/11 was an inside job. :D

5. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    If you read the article, that's a fairly commonly held view, but suggests it may not be entirely fair or as simple as that.

6. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Evidence against a conspiracy theory is further proof that's it's a conspiracy?

Well, you can't win then, can you.

Leave 'em to it, I say. Gives us something to chuckle at.

Riseinside1892 and GregC like this.
  7. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    You have ulterior motives in posting this thread, don't you....like overthrow of the free world. I know it!

8. Conspiracy theories are started by the government.

Truth is stranger than fiction....but fiction is more believable...

9. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

There is a conspiracy by the government to hide the fact that we have air vehicles flying around in our airspace that we can not explain. But when you really think about it, it is probably for the better that it is hidden from the masses.

10. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    The government is a conspiracy theory.

11. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    That's an example of one. See MetalBassPro's posting history for more examples.:|
    It reminds me a bit of the "failure to disprove the absence is grounds for belief" reasoning that comes in a related debate.

12. In the book "1984', George Orwell wrote about a government department called the "Ministry Of Mis-information".

Here in 2014 there actually is a department in the Pentagon that does exactly that.

Where I live the local government has a similar department that employs 200 people (by their own published admission).

They don't say it's misinformation though...they call it "enhancing stories for the public betterment".

Does the government manufacture stories to sway public opinion?......yes..they do.

Immigrant likes this.
  13. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    levels the playing field innit.

if I find out teh dreadful secretz about the government, then I'm dangerous to them and that makes me important. which makes me feel powerful and in control, instead of feeling sad and powerless and frustrated, which would be the logical thing for me to feel about my crappy life.

etc.

14. I fear MBP may have been banned, or at least followed the trend of making "Banned" an avatar.

I think most cancers and other fatal diseases could have been cured by now if there wasn't so much money to made by manufacturing treatments instead, or by concentrating efforts on a better boner pill.

Mysterion likes this.
  15. Most conspiracy theories have so many public angles injected that they become outrageous and bizarre.

Yet in most conspiracy theories there always unanswered questions and strange facts about them.

This coupled with the government's readiness to "classify" information and withhold evidence just adds fuel to the fire.

16. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    The truth will set you free. Good luck finding it.

BboogieXVII and Gravedigger Dav like this.
  17. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Last November for the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy assassination, there were several TV programs highlighting various conspiracy theories.

It really makes you think.

I'm a grassy knoll man myself...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  18. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    There is a distinct difference between acknowledging that a government will spin facts for PR purposes, or even sometimes mislead the public in areas of security and believing that only you and a small group of low traffic websites know the truth about something significant that's being lied about.

blue4 and nashvillebill like this.
  19. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I live in Newtown, and my office is about a quarter mile from where the shootings took place. While I did not see the actual shootings, I saw a lot. It only took a couple of days for the conspiracy nuts to come out, including against a man who took allowed some of the students to come into his yard when they were outside.

You also have the person who defaced a memorial playground, and then called one of the parents to say it was done because they did not believe it took place.

It's sick. People who do this don't understand how their little fantasies affect others.

20. Mysterion

Mysterion

Jan 10, 2012
    46% of Americans believe that humans were placed on the planet within the last 10,000 years.

26% believe the sun revolves around the Earth.

And 12 million of our countryfolk believe lizard people control the government...

fraublugher and Immigrant like this.