Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Half of my school was gone today. Due to Columbine

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Remember that kid that brought a gun a few weeks ago that I told you about earlier this week?

Someone started a rumor that they were releasing him today, and he was going to come back and shoot up the place... So more than half of the 2600 students were gone.... my 1st period had 6/22 people, 2nd period had 8/16 people, my third period had 9/27 people, my 4th had 25/25 people, and jazz band was full. Curazy.

Bah.

Oh, and the genereal consensus seems to be that I won that fight :p

2. sounds pretty cool.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Hey, does your high school host any marching band competitions? i know we went to one down in torrance last year or the year before...

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Money, you didn't have to start a thread about marching band under the guise of school violence, ya know?

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm curious, did this guy say he was going to act in a columbinian way?

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's tacky, man.

brad cook

7. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Some sociologysts (don't know if I've spelled that ok) call these continuous appearence of gun related incidents a state of "low intensity civil war". Rather alarming.

ANDRUCA

8. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    It's "sociologists," but its really not that important. Anyway, I would challenge those people by saying it is not so much a "civil war" in any classic sense of the word. What we are seeing are more the quakes caused by the "plates" of modernity and post-modernity, in which change in people's minds and actions as well as society's problems are moving so fast, there is little hope to compensate at the moment. Personally, as a semi-Marxist, I believe that Capitalism is just like any living being. It has a life span, and thus, it is always slowly dying. So, we'll just have to wait and see how our social system survives and changes in response to these problems.

9. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Very interesting points. ;)

ANDRUCA

10. Strangely, I had to go to the newsagency today to buy 7 new clipboards for work and I couldn't get you out of my mind, Mike...... :rolleyes:

11. Interesting... but personally i believe we can put all this down to an outbreak of stupidity.

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Is that Aussie charm? Because, if it is i think i like it :)

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't know about "charm", but I am perfectly willing to believe that Aussies are the experts on this subject!! ;)

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Well you know what they say Bruce, "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree". ;)

15. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Descended from murderers and rapists....

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Is that like making cider: the "bad apples" get taken away, so as not to sour the batch? :D

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    We had a bomb threat here at the school today. :scowl:

Had to stand out in the sun for over an hour. How interesting that it just happened to fall on a Friday during the last day of our state standardized testing. :rolleyes:

brad cook

18. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Can I get a "hell yeah"?

19. Well, if you were in jazz band, you would want to be shot too!

:D

20. With a batch like the one we came from it's easier just to remove the good apples :D