1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Half of Pickup Lower Volume

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Mar 27, 2009.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I've been working on wiring this bass for a couple days (I'm a slow learner), and finally got it all working this evening.

It's a P/J with Fender Japan pickups, wired 3-way switch, Master volume, Master Tone. It took me a bit to get it all worked out, since there wasn't a very good diagram online, but it finally 'worked' tonight.

The problem now is that the EA side of the P pickup sounds good, but the DG side makes virtually no sound. Tapping with a screwdriver, the EA side is loud, the Jazz pickup is loud, but the DG side probably gives about 1/10th volume of the rest.

I checked, and all the wires are still attached. Does it sound like my pickup is DOA?

2. looks like it, you could also try to wire the P pickup straight to the output jack, and tap again, if still the same then the pickup has a problem, if loud and clear this way, then there is a weird phase cancellation happening

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    You can use a meter to take DCR readings of each coil for you P pickup by putting the probes on the solder blobs (you might have toscartch a little to make a connection; and be careful not to damage the coi wire). They should read about the same. If the D/G coil is a lot lower it might need a rewind or the solder joints redone.

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

It seems like the magnet itself just isn't as strong. I can't even get it to pick up a pickguard screw from more than half an inch away, and the other side grabs it much farther than that...

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I had a similar problem and traced mine back to corrosion in the wiring of the E-A coil... Somehow, a beverage had been spilled in there... Too bad really, because up to that point, it was far and away the best passive P pup I had ever heard, (stock pup in my '96 MIA P)...

A lower magnetic pull... That's a new one to me, but totally plausible... Luckily, replacements are fairly cheap and plentiful!

-robert