1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Half round strings w/ purple wrappings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by doodahwarrior, Jul 17, 2017.

1. doodahwarrior

doodahwarrior Banned

Dec 16, 2015
    The Toby I bought recently has half-round strings on it with purple wrappings.... I LOVE these strings. Anyone know what brand they might be?

2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    could be the Ken Smith Compressors....

3. If they're half-rounds, they would be Ken Smith Slick Rounds, which are basically the KS version of the GHS Brite Flats.

4. Please provide photos of both the headstock (silked ends) and the bridge (ball ends) so we can confirm and verify.

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    That was my first thought too, Compressors or maybe Slick Rounds depending on the shade of purple, maybe? A pic would help.

6. By the way, are they silked at the ball end as well?

Here's the list of silk colors for Ken Smith:

Stainless Steel Round Wound / Custom Balanced Taper Core = Purple Ball End Silk & Tuner ends
    Compressors = Purple Ball End Silk & Tuner ends
    Slick Rounds = Purple Ball End Silk & Tuner Ends
    Burners = Blue Ball End Silk & Redish / Orangeish Tuner Ends​

7. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Yeah, I was going to write the Slick Rounds too. So could be either ones...

But I have no idea the shade of purple would be different among Ken Smith strings...

IMG_20160912_190614.

In the picture above, I use Ken Smith Compressors Light set (CRL 40-102) + low-B (C125-T) + high-C (C028), with Ken Smith Burner .020 plain string for the high-F on my BTB7. Seems that the shade of the purples from the Compressors and the Burner were look alike.

8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    They're probably all the same, just wondering on my part. I have sets of each, I'll check the colors.

9. As far as I know the Slick Rounds (groundwound) and the Compressors (rollerwound) have the same purple silk.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  10. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Correct. I've used both before. Both are great strings.

11. Squint

Squint Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Louisville, KY
    Are you certain they are half rounds? Could be EB Cobalt flats. They sport a similar purple silk wrap too.

12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I was about to say. The winds in cobalts are further apart than in other flats which makes them look like half rounds.

13. To the OP...
    One of the ways to tell if they're Ken Smith or Ernie Ball is to measure the length from the ball end to where the silk starts. KS = 38", EB = 37.25".

14. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    with the exception if OP's bass has low B, Ken Smith Compressors low B .125T is only 37".

15. There you go...
    If they were Ernie Balls, the B string wouldn't be tapered, would it?

How about measuring the E?

16. Hopefully the OP will remember about this thread and respond back soon.

17. Ken Smith Slick Wounds.... my string of choice.....

18. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I have no clue about the Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats. Interested to try them, but seems too much problems of breaking strings reported. I do have Cobalt Rounds waiting to be installed though... I just don't have anymore bass that strings should be replaced right now.

Yes, measuring the E should be more precise in case of Ken Smith 38" winding length.

19. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.
    Those KS slick rounds are great. I use them on my fretless basses.

20. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Lol...first thought that came to mind was " that seems like a good question " next thought was "we will debate anything" ...i love talkbass !!!