Half Rounds vs Flat Rounds vs Round Wounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DougP, Sep 4, 2001.

1. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Hi all,
    New to the boards here and I have a question concerning the types of strings out there. What are the uses of the Round Wounds vs Half Rounds vs Flat Rounds? I thought Flat Rounds were intended to be used on a fretless bass to prevent eating up the fingerboard, however, I visited my local music store and found a fretless Warwick with round wounds on it. This leads me to believe that my the different types of strings have uses other than what I expected. Can anyone shed some light into the dim hallways of my mind? Thanks.
  2. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Bass strings usually are made by winding a metallic wrap around a core string. When the wrapping is round, its a roundwound. When the wrapping is flat like a ribbon, its a flatwound. When the wrapping is flat on the outside, round on the inside, its a halfround. Roundwounds sound brighter, but because the edge is rough, can "eat up" fretless fretboards. Flatwounds sound "duller" but are more consistent in sound, and typically used on fretless basses. Halfwounds try to get the best of both worlds. You can use roundwounds on fretless basses to get a brighter sound with more "mwah".

More info at these FAQs:

rec.music.makers.bass FAQ

The Bottom Line FAQ
  3. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Thanks for the links and the info.