Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Half Rounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nanook, Mar 15, 2001.

1. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I got um ordered. Thanks to all for the information.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Hey!!! Give us a review when you get them! Please :D . I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to know your reactions.

3. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Will do.

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I'm with Flatwound. I would like to hear your experience too. It's nice to have another frame of reference.

5. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Well, I got them and installed them.

The preliminary report, based on one day of use, is that they are exactly as advertised, 1/2 way between Rounds and Flats on the smoothness scale.

If you get rough with the slap/pop thing they sound like Rounds and if you play fingers close to the neck they sound like Flats.

They are far superior to Rounds for string slides and they don't feel like you are trying to play a chain saw file.

They aren't much rougher that the Pyramid Golds that I run on my Ric. The extra winding on the low B (.130) string makes it a little rougher than you would like but still not bad.

For someone playing Flats who wants to try something a little different, they are just the ticket. Since the Round wound guys are already callused up to the second joint, I doubt they could caress the warmness out of them that the Flat aficionado could.

If there are further revelations I will post them here.

6. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Hmmm... I may have to try those on my Washburn at some point. Prolly after I get my EMG's. The guy I'm getting the pups from is out of town, and I'm getting really impatient. :mad:

7. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Oopsy. I forget which brand of half-rounds you're using. Was it D'Addario?

8. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    yes

9. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Well, the more I play um, the more I like um.

I would say it is worth a try, very nice sound.

10. Are they any good for that JPJ tone?

11. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Not as close as my Rick with the Pyramids but I can play just about any of the Retro stuff and it sounds good. Grand Funk, BTO, Spencer Davis, Procal etc.

They are on a high end Yamaha 6 string and the low B adds a little spice to stale tunes like Sunshine.

They are a smige too bright for Motown so the Rick picks up the slack there.

If I only had one axe I would stick with the flats but having a second one allows for a little experimentation.

12. would fender flats work well on a P bass?
    how about D'addario?

13. Relman: Fender P-Basses and Flats are a marriage made in Heaven. That's what the old style bass sound was made of. Tons of thump with a rich bass tone, just a touch of sustain, and enough drive to push the music to a frenzy. Fender Flats are my favorite with D'Addarios coming in a close second. I use both, depends on the bass.

Half-Rounds: I have used D'Addario half rounds for quite some time now. I have found them to be excellant. As close as you can get to a flat, without actually getting a flat, but with more sustain and ring without being obnoxious like a round. Not as much thump as a flat, but enough for most music.

I recently bought a set of Ken Smith Slick-Rounds and I have to say, they are also a very nice half-round string. Actually I like them a little better than the D'Addarios for my AmDlx P-Bass. They are more expensive, not much though. The D'Addarios just didn't come alive on the active P the way they did on my J bass.