Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Half-rounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Half rounds, are they more like flats or rounds? I have used "compression wound" strings, and they felt exactly like round wounds, whats the truth on it?

2. Nothing?, wow this forum is dead

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
  4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    That suck's nobody responded I was curious as well

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I tried "try this" cool that helps

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Hey, I must ahve overlooked this thread earlier... I LOVE half-rounds, and they are essential for "my tone". The last few sets of strings I've gotten have been D'Addario half-rounds. They sound closer to falt-wounds than roundwounds, especially after having themon for the last 8 months :D. Essentially, they are like a flatwound string, only a little more flexible and with a little more zing, and a little less thud. The other upside (to me) is that they don't feel abrasive, and don't make squeaky noises when your fingers rub across them (slides), but maybe that's not an issue to you. I like the funky tone they get when you slap them, but they buzz quite a bit more if you tap them than roudnwounds, unless your very good (which I am not). Hope that helps! :)

7. Well, how would they be on a fretless compared the coated d'addario rounds? Which would do less fretboard damage?