Half-speed listening program?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lovebown, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Does anyone know if there are any shareware/freeware programs that can change the speed of songs and not alter the pitch???

2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'm a great fan of Transcribe! which I started using about three months ago. Not only can you play a song at half (or quarter, or whatever you fancy) speed without altering the pitch, it also gives you a whole bunch of other tools to help figure things out.

When I'm learning a new tune I'll first of all get a digital copy and open it in Transcribe!. First of all, I listen through, marking the bars and sections (often in realtime, using the keyboard, although you can go back and adjust later). Once I've worked out the overall shape of the song I'll then pick a section and loop it round until I've got it pretty clearly established in my head - once I've figured out what's going on, I'll loop it again and play along to get the nuances of the timing, etc.

If the bass is getting lost in the mix, you've got some pretty radical EQ controls to cut down the distractions. If the bass is fairly exposed, you can even use its pitch analysis to get a rough idea of what notes are being used (although in practise, this is often quicker to do by ear).

All in all, definitely worth checking out. If you don't like it, delete it and move on; I normally do that with shareware, but this one inspired me to part with my money.

3. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
  4. I actually have a phsyical unit that slows stuff down. But it's a bit of a pain to set up. If you can get a computer program to do it, I think it'll be easier to use. The unit that I have is made by a company called Reed Kotler.
  5. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    K thanks guys... any other links are welcome as well..