Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Half stack Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sutton, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I just ordered an Avatar 2x12 to go with my new Kustom 1200 Groove bass Head.

I'm planning on making it a full stack eventually, after I buy stuff for my rack, but I have a few questions on it.

Should I go with anotehr 212 from avatar, or should I go with the 410. I was thinking the 410, but I figured it wouldnt hurt to ask you guys.

Also, I could use some more rack stuff. So far, I plan on getting a power conditioner, and a korg tuner, is there something else that you'd recommend?

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Sounds like your gonna have a good setup with the halfstack alone... depending on if you got the 4ohm or 8ohm model of the B212.

If you got 4ohms, you'll probably be happy for a VERY long time (with 800Watts, I believe. Quad will surely have the facts:p). The B212 has been known to be a great standalone cabinet, and should be very diverse.

Now... the best way to figure out what to add to it is to analyze the situation YOURSELF as you experience your new rig. Play loud, and in a band setting sometime.... and see whats missing. Punch? Low End? It will depend, really. If you have to play outdoors any time.... maybe a 15 could fit in there. Who knows....

Also, you might decide that you want a smaller cabinet, so that if you have to play somewhere thats NOT huge, you dont have to haul a 212 around with you. And you could avoid hoisting a full sized cab on TOP of another one. That sucks... trust me. The B212 isnt a heavy cab by comparison... but 75lbs is no laughy matter.

Example: If your thoroughly happy with your tone, but you simply want more volume and power... maybe an SB112 on top of your B212 would fit you perfectly. And again... you'd be gaining that smaller cab, that you could easily trandport somewhere if you needed to play at someone's house or something. Ya never know.

As for your rack, the only additional thing I could think of is possibly a Sonic MAximizer of some sort... but then again, those can be fairly unecessary, and sometimes can drain your tone and have an inverse effect. Plus, racks are very heavy. Trust me... I have a 6-space, and its about as heavy as one of my cabinets almost. You DONT want to have to haul it 5 feet into the air. a 4-space rack with the Stuff you listed really oughta take care of every aspect you need. :cool:

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Wait until the rig arrives.

Then decide what you think you need. What we tell you won't matter if you want something else.

Remember, it's your sound.

4. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    yeah, the 212 is a 4 ohm cabinet, and I'm sure it'll be loud enough for al ong long time.. I should get it on wednesday, and I cant wait.

The 112 is a good idea aswell, maybe get it in a8 ohm, so my head wouldnt blow it.

As for the rack, I know it'll be heavy, I'm planning on getting two 4 unit racks, that way I can have my amp in one, along with the tuner, and then have a bunch of other sutff in the other, so if I dont need the maximizer and stuff, I would have to haul it around with me, so in theory, the rig would be fairly lightweight...

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Your head wouldnt blow it in 4ohms. Its rated at 500Watts RMS, so you could probably get away with putting about 900Watts or more into that cab, and it would be just fine. If you ran it alone in 4ohms, it would handle the 800Watts (or so) with no worries, and mono-bridged it would be getting 600Watts.... which wouldnt even come close to damaging it unless your amp was clipping (in which case, even your B212 might be at risk of damage).

The 4ohm cab would be fine. No need to worry about that :cool:.

6. a sansamp RBI unit is a nice addition to most setups, but not something you would need