Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Half step and normal tuning

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JoeRules00, Mar 16, 2003.

1. My band has decided to go to half step tuning lately and so I've dropped my Kingston 5 into half step, but kept my SX P-Bass in EADG tuning. Now that I'm getting to work on technique and a lot of scales and such, is it beneficial to keep both like that (mind you, I'm moving the notes to be played as written on my Kingston 5) or is it just a waste of time to try and learn everything in both EADG and half step tuning?

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Personally I think it's not worth the mucking around. There will be those occasions where in the heat of the moment you'll forget which tuning you're using and start the song a semi-tone different to everyone else.

If this happens, use my excuse.... "it was a Jazz chord ". Works every time :)

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Half step tuning is not logical!

If a song sounds better one half step higher, play the song in a sharped key.

One good reson not to change your tuning is that the action of the bass is different when you go away from standard tuning. Intonation also suffers.

If your skill level does not allow transposition to a sharped key, use a capo.

I don't understand what you mean by the sentence in parentheses.

Pkr2

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    In the Eighties, I played in a couple of bands that tuned to Eb. (I assume that is what you mean by "half-step tuning).

We did it to help the singer out, and the guitarists loved Van Halen.

We never actually acknowledged that the instruments were down a half. If we said "it's in E," then we meant it was played in the open position. We never said E flat"

I wouldn't worry over it. If you are hardcore into ear training right now, I wouldn't do it at all.

Chas

5. Sorry for the confusion, I didn't mean that the band is dropping to Eb then moving things back up a fret for the song, the idea is that we as a band play in the half step tuning, but in my personal studies, which I'm currrently focusing a lot into the keys of C and G, I'm learning the fretboard differently, for instance, C is 4 on the A, not 3. The gist of the question is, will trying to learn 2 different fretboards (though very similar) benefit me, or is it just biting off too much?