Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Half wound safe for fretless?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by craptastic, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Is it ok to use half wound/GRW strings on an untreated fretless rosewood fingerboard? Or would that do all manner of hideous things?

2. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I've used halfrounds on my fretless Fender Jazz basses for almost 4 years now with no visible wear at all. Go for it....

3. I'm diggin my d'addario half rounds. Perfect mix of Zing, feel, and protection for the fretboard.

4. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I've used GHS Pressurewounds all along. They're relatively inexpensive and last a long time, provided you take care of them. Clean them once a week with some string cleaner and wipe them down after you finish playing and they stay nice and lively for a nice while.

If you wanted to go for a true flatwound that is still bright and really lasts, I recommend Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Bass Flats. I've had them on one of my basses for almost 2 years and they are still as bright and LOUD as the day I got them, with a ton of -mwah- to spare.