1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Half wound strings for hollow body

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pelopincho21, Oct 4, 2013.

1. pelopincho21

pelopincho21

Aug 29, 2013
    So, I have this hollowbody:

[​IMG]

And i decided to buy half wound strings or Pressurewounds, what brands do you recommend? Do you think it is a good decission to buy that kind of strings?

I play songs like: Rodhouse blues, sunshine of your love, one after the 909, le grange, etc...

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    They're two different kinds of strings. Both are sort of attempts at combining the best qualities of flats and rounds. Pressurewounds succeed in this attempt. Halfrounds...not so much....in my opinion.

Having said that....I've only heard good things about, ken smith and ghs pressurewounds. Your other options are roto 55, sit and dean markley. I'd imagine the roto pressurewounds are very bright as they're the only stainless steel option.

This isn't one of your options, but hollowbodies work very well with tapewounds, especially for classic rock/blues kinda stuff.

3. chienmort

chienmort

Aug 15, 2012
    Br careful as these strings tend to have much higher tension and a hollow body may not be strong enough. I use the Picato half rounds and I love them but I would not trust them on a semi acoustic.

4. Nice bass.

5. donn

donn

Mar 28, 2011
    Seattle
    What part isn't strong enough? But - first - are they high tension? D'Addario's tension chart leaves me with the impression they're about the same as the flatwound strings that many hollow body players use.

My old Japanese hollow body looks a lot like this one. It's built like a tank. Full hollow, but thick hardwood plywood. My newer Gretsch is a lot thinner (and more resonant), and I'm still pretty confident that my heavy gauge flats are going to cause no trouble at all.

The reason to use, or not use, half round strings, is the sound. You can find some youtube video demonstrations. Not as many as with flatwounds, naturally as they aren't as commonly used. Some people like them. To me, they sound like round wound, thus not so good, but if you want that round wound sound in a smooth string, maybe they're for you.

6. sep2401-L. + 1 on tapewounds. i use them on my eb2 & on my full hollowbody hohner. for my tele bass thinline i prefere ghs precision flats.