Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Half Wounds Question (F*** Doing A Search...)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by de la mocha, Jan 6, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Straight to the point..... I want everything in a nickel set of strings but I want them to feel as smooth as flatwounds. Do half wounds do this or not?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    straight up.... NO

I'm a stainless rounds kinda guy forever. But I dig 2 sets of Nickel Groundwounds...

Most round like in tone yet flat to the touch: D'Addario Half Rounds

Darker and thumpier with great tone: SIT Powerflats

if you want D'Addario XL with a flat feel... the Halfrounds are kinda close, but not really.

3. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Thanks. By the way, the forum search did nothing for me....

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    no problem, the search doesn't always find an answer.

5. I just installed D'Addadrio halfrounds on my PJ bass: I like them. They replaced a nickle round set, same gauge.
    The low E still has growl but is better defined. I really like the string feel -- nice and smooth.

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    i use d'adarrio HR's on my Sterling and I dig em- great silky feel and tone with a nice balance of thump and treble. do they feel exactly like flats? no. but, very nice and about as close as you are going to get. i also use d'addario chromes on my g&l and they are actually a bit more abrasive, for lack of a better word, than the HR's.

7. etb67

etb67 Far Out Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Ohio
    I just put med gauge D'adarrio half rounds on my jazz and I really like them. I'm not a big fan of rounds, but I wanted my jazz to have a little brightness in the tone. These half rounds seem to do a pretty good job of splitting the difference between rounds and flats.

8. I use the GHS versions (brite flats?) on my Rivoli II and I love them. tubby with a little grit, and no finger squeak.

9. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Another vote for Brite Flats- nice strings.

10. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Try Smith Compessors instead of D'Addario half rounds. They are smoother, brighter, and last longer.

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Yeah on Smith Compressors - or GHS Pressurewounds. If you want the brightest of them get the light gauge ones (which still have plenty of tension since there is more mass there than roundwounds of the same gauge). If you want a little less top get the heavier gauge set - less flexibility, and thus less of the higher overtones.

These strings feel smooth but have a great tonal range.