Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Half wounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by WesW, Aug 24, 2005.

1. WesW

WesW <>< Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2002
    St Joe Beach, FL
    I've been using SIT Silencers - and really like them - but I think the folks at SIT are really busy . . .

Any suggestions on a good/great nickel half-wound?

I have tried D'Addario's - and like them - I'm not worried about names - just want something that has a good clean tone - with a bit of sting - but not brittle sounding.

Thanks!

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    hey wes,

I've used the D'addario Half-rounds, SIT Silencers and the SIT Powerflats (groundwounds like the D'addario).

all are great stings IMO. the Silencer are the most round and very much like mellow nickel rounds to me. the D'addario are very expressive and have great tone... somewhere in the middle of round and flat. The Powerflats are a tad tighter, darker and thumpier.... but still with a hint of round type tone.

3. WesW

WesW <>< Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2002
    St Joe Beach, FL
    Cool - sounds like I need to get some D'Addarios.

Anybody tried the GHS pressurewouds? I gotta stop strings shopping.....someday.... :D

4. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    The GHS pressurewounds are one of my personal favourites. There nickelplated rounds which are eggshaped, a little deeper lows and in the beginning some more brightness but after about 1-2 months of use they turn more and more into a flatwound character. They also take away about 75% of string noise regular rounds give.