Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Halfrounds/groundwounds and fretted guitars

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MascisMan, Jun 17, 2004.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Everyone talks about how good their Halfrounds sound on their fretless basses but what about on fretted basses?

Im looking for strings for a new bass that is being built for me. It is basically a P-bass copy. I know tons of people prefer Flatwounds on their P-basses for the thump factor but how do the Halfwounds sound? I play in a melodic southern rock/alt. country band and was wondering what I should be putting on my new P-bass. I usually use roundwounds on my J-bass and this will be my first P-bass. Im worried that Flatwounds wont have the sustain I want so Im looking at Halfrounds now.

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I use GHS half rounds on my Warwick Corvette Fretless, and my Fretted Essex J bass. They sound great for both.

The groundwounds/half wounds are going to lie sonically somewhere in between flatwounds and roundwounds.

- More sustain than flats, but not as much overtones and ring as rounds.
    - They feel more like flats than rounds
    - They are brighter than the flats, but not as bright as rounds
    - Don't have as much bounce or liveliness that rounds have, but definitely more than flats.

But since there are different types and brands of rounds/grounds/flats, your experiences may vary.

3. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I see, thanks Jive. Yeah it sounds like something I definitely want to try on the new P-bass. Anyone have any soundclips with halfrounds on their basses? Preferrably P-Basses?

4. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Rather than list all the things that jive1 said, here's my experience with halfrounds:

They sound like roundwounds lightly palm-muted.

On my P-bass they sound absolutely beautiful. Old-school thump, but they've still got tone.

Highly recommended from me.

5. murdermilk

murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004
    Do they last as long as flats? I've had the same flats on my bass for about 8 months, and I'm really starting to notice how much money I am saving.

6. I used them on my P-clone for a while and liked them. I only put flats on it for a bit more "thump" and a bit less sustain. As they age, they develop more of a "flatwound" character. As far as how long they last, it depends on what you're looking for...if you want "thump" they last a long time but if you want "zing" then they don't last too long. They deliver, more or less, what you'd expect: a compromise between flatwound and roundwound characteristics.

7. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    anyone have any recordings of halfwounds vs. flatwounds vs. roundwounds?

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

slapped
    picked
    fingered

more

I think they last fine... I've had a set on my Hamer since Oct 2002 and they still sound killer!!!

9. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    awesome I'll check these out when I get home. Im assuming these are halfround?

10. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think Speddling is using SIT Power Flats, Correct Speddling? I put some of these on my EB SUB5 (left the stock B string on there). I love them. Smooth feel, no fret noise but still plenty of bite to them. Also....not too high tension like a lot of flats and halves out there. They are tighter than rounds but not by much.
    -Bazz-

11. I have halfrounds on my Epi Rivoli II and I love them. Nice percussive thump with some brightness, and no finger squeak.

I like them so much, I may put some on my Italia.

Mine have lasted quite a long time. Just wipe them down religiously.

12. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    anyone use halfrounds here for rock?

13. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    SIT Power Flats are 1/2 rounds. I play in a punk band ala The Clash. I've used GHS Brite Flats as well for metal and punk.
    -Bazz-

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    yup! SIT Power Flats are nickel groundwounds... Thick & Thumpy, but still sustain nicely.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    mine ain't rock enough??? :bassist:

16. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I was just wandering around at juststrings.com and it seems as if nobody makes groundwound or halfround sets for 5 string basses.

Can anyone recommend a good set for a 5?

17. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    you could take the cheap way out and just replace your E through G strings with 1/2 rounds. Keeping your B a round wound.

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

I get mine from Brian Barrett @ http://www.thelowend.net

I've got them on a 4 string fretted, a 5 string fretted, a 5 string fretless and a 6 string fretless!

the PowerFlat B is Thunderous!!!!

19. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I use Ken Smith Slick Rounds. Slick round is just a fancy name for the same old 1/2 wound or ground wound. I love 'em. They sound great on my Modulus Q5. I use them for rock and my church gig. You can get them at juststrings.com. What you have to do is order the 4 string set and then go to single string section and order a B string.

20. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I havent been home to listen to them yet