Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Halfrounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Only, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Also called groundwounds. Does anyone else use these?

They're near impossible to find (at least in Missouri) so I don't get them that often, but I love the sound.

The strings are normal roundwounds that have been ground down to feel like flats, but still have brightness.

I'm also apparently the only person in the state who's heard of them. 9 out of 10 salespeople at music stores, and 4 out of 5 bass players have never heard of them.

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I had a set of D'Addario Half-Rounds on my Yamaha BBG5A. Quite nice string, actually, but the B was just plain dead. It went "thunk" when you plucked it.

I use Rotosound flats now, and while they are brighter than your average flat, the B is not dead.

3. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    where are you in missouri? they have them here.

4. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I use GHS Brite Flats. Roundwounds that have been ground down smooth.

Get them at juststrings.com or go to Elderly's website and request a free catalog. They have the best deals on strings I've seen anywhere.

5. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I'm in Sedalia, Missouri. Right smack in the middle of the state. I could order online, but I prefer to keep my local stores going, since they've helped me out a lot in the past.

6. i've been using d'addario 1/2 rounds on my stingray5 fretless for about a year now, i love 'em

but every time i need a set i have to order them, which is every 3-4 months.

i gig at least once a week and play long sets where my hands get pretty sweaty, so i'd say these strings have a relitively long life.

Is there anyone out there that can compare these to the TI flats i've been hearing so much about?

Thanks
    Gary

7. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I use 'em too, they have a nice "mwah" if you get a really light gauge.

8. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I like GHS pressurewounds better.I have gotten half rounds (DeAddario)with dead strings in the past,and have heard that I'm not the only one.

9. Yes, I use the GHS Pressure Wounds too. Great strings, good sound and a lot slicker feel than flats. :D

10. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    I use the D'Addario half wounds (or what ever) on my Dano reissue and my ancient P-bass. They work very well on these two basses. You can get readily them from juststrings.com. I've done busines with them several times and have no complaints with them. I don't use a credit card for mail order purchases, so I use postal MO's. I have received my orders within two weeks of mailing the MO. I have used them on fretless basses and I thought they were too bright for that application for me, but YMMV.