Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Halfway there (speaker cabinet options and questions)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ian Perge, Jul 1, 2004.

1. 2x10" and 2x12"

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. 2x10" and 2x10"

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. 2x10" and 1x12"

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Other (please post)

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    After literally years of "what if's"/"I could go this way or I could go that way"/"What the hell do I want my sound to be?" a few months ago I came to the decision on what I wanted my "ultimate rig... with ca$h certainly an object" to be. I decided to go modular (pre/power/cabs) and attempt to keep weight (and to a lesser degree, size) down as one of my main priorities for two critical reasons: I'm disabled in two areas – mild Cerebral Palsy from birth, and a severely weakened back due to the removal of the majority of 3 vertebrae from a non-cancerous tumor when I was 21. One by itself wouldn't be so bad - for example, during my teenage years I gigged regularly with a Peavey TNT-150 combo which is hardly the lightest or most portable combo on the market ;), but after the back surgery I found that I was pretty limited to what I could lift if I didn't want to cause further damage to my back.

And thus, my point - this week I finally took delivery of the first half of my "rebuilding" rig - an SWR Mini Mo' preamp and QSC PLX 1602, both contained in a SKB Roll-X 5 space rack to further transportation ease. Now I'm moving onto finalizing speaker cabinet possibilities and finding that most specific "lightweight" cabs are far out of my price range, so my best bet is to come up with a modular setup that will make load-ins manageable (multiple trips are not a problem) while fitting some of my more unique needs, the biggest of which is that I plan on running the Mini Mo’ in "Dual Mode", which sends a post-EQ pre-effects "dry" signal to one out and a post-EQ post-effect "wet" signal to another, allowing you to running a effected rig without losing your traditional "bass" signal when effects are on (think Billy Sheehan). Here are some thoughts of mine, in no particular detail. All cabinet suggestions are Avatar's:
    • I have really fallen for the idea of a 2x10"/2x12" stack, as it would allow me to run a decent full-range out from just the 2x12" if I don’t want to bring the whole thing out, and that together running the dry line to the 12" and the wet to the 10" would be absolutely killer, tone-wise. The negative is that the size and weight of the 2x12" give me some pause – even comparing it to my old Peavey’s 100+ weight, 75 lbs. is still a bit hefty.
    • A "little brother" to the above would be a dual 2x10" setup, which is more manageable in both size and weight. I have some concerns about it’s ability to handle low B's, as I’m a five string player almost exclusively. Farting out will do me little good. :scowl:
    • A 2x10'/1x12" is a possibility, but as I’ve never heard a 1x12" with my own ears I wonder about it’s ability to project, and if the mere 5 lb difference between the 2x10" is worth it. On paper it simply seems to "small" to me.

I’m open to any and all suggestions about that above possibilities as well as any I haven't considered (other lower-cost brand, cabinet combinations, etc.) Because of the nature of the Mini Mo's Dual Mode, I'll be running the QSC in stereo to two 4 ohm cabs w/ 500 watts per cab. I'm primarily a rock bassist, so I come from the mindset of "more speaker area = better". Please prove me wrong on this. :D

2. This is just my opinion so please don't take offense. That being said; You've obviously spent some time and money on assembling a very nice pre/power set-up. Why are you so willing to sacrifice what it's capable of doing by going with such inexpensive/incapable cabinets? The Avatar cabs are a great bargain, don't get me wrong, but they don't perform as well as many other "better" designed cabs. My suggestion would be to save a little more dough and buy some cabs that will do your new rig (bass included) justice. Two 4 ohm Low B-2 enclosures from Acme will make for one sweet modular set-up. They will also handle your lows (B string) and effects (from the MM) better then just about anything else on the market for the price. Next in line would be something from the Dr. Bass "Birchline" series of enclosures. They are getting very nice reviews. Check out the BL 2124 Neo cab. I hope that gives you a little more incentive to build your new rig!

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm digging my Schroeder 1210 !!!

one 12" + one 10" + tweeter & under 50lbs. Hella loud, full & punchy.

a pair of them would Kill

:bassist:

4. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Try the Epifani UL line - I picked up a 4x10 and it was unbelievably light! I heard they sound great, too!

Dan K.

5. Ian Perge

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    No offense taken, and your questions/observations are very insightful and I thank you for them. I suppose that the reason I'm willing to spend less on the speakers is the decision I made when planning the whole "rebuilding" process. My fiancée’s finishing up graduate school with plans on moving to a doctoral program, so income and student loan debt (and debt in general) is of major concern to us (her moreso, and we all know who holds the purse strings ;)), and I was limited with the amount of money we could put aside for my "project". I do realize that I could have gotten a much more inexpensive preamp and put some of that into the cabinets, but the Mini Mo' has been my "dream pre" since it came on the market (and before that, the Mo' Bass head), so I chose not to compromise on that. In the 4 days I’ve had it and have been playing through decent (audio-technica ATH-m40fs) headphones and my PC speaker setup (with sub, and surprisingly nice for low-volume practice) I’m very glad I didn't. It's even more of "my sound" than I'd even hoped/dreamed, and I researched this to death. :)

The reason that I'm willing to compromise to get the cabinets sooner is sheer frustration and the desire to get back in the "scene". I've been on a lull for the past 3+ years since I moved to Kentucky from NY, and I moved from a decent time of session work and live gigs that were very fulfilling musically. I've been missing that for years, and over the last year it got to the point where I've realized I need to play out, and not simply in my house. Thus, the cheaper speakers. I've never considered them to be "keepers", but simply adequate enough to get me "out there" (which has been the Catch 22 all along - I needed a new rig to play and earn some ca$h, but needed ca$h for a rig :bawl: ). With any luck and a paying gig, a few years down the line better replacement were a certainty.

Although now that I'm thinking about it, the soonest I'd be able to get cabinets without a surprise visit by the Money Fairy is around the holidays, and with a move likely for the fiancée’s change of schools it's doubtful I'd be able to settle into a gig with only 6-8 months before moving on. So perhaps I have more time to save/research. Not the best of situations, but we do what we must. :rollno: Those Acme's are very enticing as well - if I can ask you a quick question? I see that the sensitivity is fairly low compared to most other 2x10", and that the BP review says that they're power-eaters. Would you say that 500 watts per cab are sufficient?

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions!

6. Ian Perge

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Interesting... I can honestly say I'd never heard of them before now, but the specs look mighty nice. :)

Thanks for the info, and I’ve been meaning to say this for a while now – while your Benavente '51 Fretless 6 may not be my personal style, I bow to the person that plays such a unconventional bass. Kudos! :D

It might be light, but that's of little help when it's doubtful I could fit it in either of our cars! (her Neon and my "dying a painful death" Plymouth Colt) I wonder if State Troopers would pull me over if I were towing a 4x10"? Not on a trailer, mind you... simply on it's casters. :smug:

The Ultralight Series does look tempting, though. 59 lbs for the 2x12" isn't bad at all. Thanks!

7. Ian Perge

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Just giving this a once-only bump to see if anyone else has opinions or advice. I'm open to everything, so please speak your mind. :)

8. I've got a couple of Avatar CB112s and an Eden 210XLT that I've been using for a while now.I use the 210 Eden with one of the 112s most of the time and it always gets as loud as I want and I never have to push it hard at all.I use one of the 112s at practice and it keeps up very well,the 112s are louder than you would think and don't really sound like bargain speakers.I play five strings only and the CB112s handle the B string real well,I haven't noticed mine farting out ever.All three of my cabs are 4 ohm that run on either side of a Crown CE1000,450 watts@ 4 ohm for one cabinet or 550@ 2 ohm for two.
    What I guess I'm getting at is a 210/112 work really nice and the 112s only weigh 45 lbs.and the 210 is around 55 lbs.We've played a couple of big festivals outside this summer and my rig always seems like overkill when I use both 112s with my 210.We play jump blues but also some tunes that are more rocked out where we get fairly loud.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Thanks you much ;) I must admit "unconventional" is one of the nicer descriptives aimed my way :bassist:

Blues Bass 2:
    I just upgraded to a Crown CE1000 myself! I'm very impressed with it so far. I'm running it bridged @ 4 ohms into my Schroeder 1210 :cool: 1100 watts :cool: