Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hallelugah, i can read sheet music!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by frankencow150, Nov 30, 2001.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Finally I can read sheet music.It takes me likes 30 seconds to figure out one note.But once i memorize all the notes,it'll be a peice of cake!:D :cool: :D :cool: :D :cool:

2. Not me... can someone explain sheet music to me?

3. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Nice one, Frankencow - keep at it!

Bassgetar, try looking at the lessons at www.libster.com - that's what I used.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Go, Frankencow!! You're on your way to a lifetime of musical enlightenment. A few words of advice, try to read something new every day - even if it's just a few bars at first. That will help you improve your reading to the point of being able to read anything on sight.

You're learning a valuable skill - keep at it! It pays rewards big time down the road.

5. Keep at it and you will be able to read better every day. Not to bash TABS but in a small amount of time you will understand why standard notation is easier to read.

6. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    thanks everyone,but theres still one thing i get confused about.Ok,so i see a note and then i count up to it,counting the EFGABCDEF and once i get to it i look to see what note it is on my note chart.For example i have to play the note C.i look at my chart and there are more than one C.how can i figure out which C it is?

basegetar,there are plenty of small 30 page books that are around $5.i reccomend one of those.if u cant buy it now,ask for it for x-mas,kwanza,or hanukah(sp?) or whateveru celebrate.they help alot.my dad bought the book that taught me to read music,for $4 at a used book shop!look for a reallly simple book,its much easier.Also basegetar,try to find a book that has standard notation on top,then tab on the bottom.thats what mine has,and its much easier to learn to read if u can figure out what it really is when u look at the tab.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Well, that's YOUR choice!
    Unless you're really attempting to play/copy EXACTLY what was played on a specific recording.
    I recall a TAB question regarding Jack Bruce's intro on "Badge"; someone wanted to know why the TAB had the "E" note depicted @the 7th fret/A-string...it seemed so easier to play if the "E" was played @the 2nd fret/D-string.
    LISTENING to the song, it's pretty obvious that Bruce opted for what the TAB described.

Way back when, I really preferred playing a low "C" note on my "A"-string(3rd fret). For some reason, I preferred the way that "C" sounded/played & felt vs. the way the same "C" note sounded/played & felt on the "E"-string(8th fret). Now, thankfully, I like both. I think attempting to play a lotta Latin/Afro music convinced me to eschew the "G"-string & lean more on the E-A-D strings.
    Anyway...

Bear in mind that each position gives a somewhat 'different' timbre & nuance. Think about it in a physics sorta way-
    A)The "C" on the A-string(3rd fret)...a "thinner/longer" string
    b)The "C" on the E-string(8th fret)...a "fatter/shorter" string.

Same note, but...not like a piano!
    So, as a bassist, you have choices & options; that's a good thing, right?

8. Whichever one is easiest to get to, or whichever one sounds right. You choose.

FF