Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hallelujah!!! I have seen the GS112 light!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, May 1, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    While getting my new Elrick Singlecut, i was looking for another 1x12 to augment my Bergie HT112. i thought a different cab would make for an interesting combination of tones with my current cab.

While on lunch break in CT on business, i stopped by G Guitars in New Haven. they had an Epifani T112 and Aguilar GS112. My initial trial of the GS112 at Rudy's didnt impress me at all. maybe, Rudy's had a blown speaker or somethin' cause the GS112 i now own is a pretty incredible cab, not to mention, a real bargain. tone was fine at all volumes too! gone was the 2D paperiness. Hello, sweet richness!

Compared to an Epifani T112, it had its own voice. the Epi was clear yet buttery, while the Aguilar was thick and milkshaky with lots of low mids. but the aggie won out cause it was lighter, not mention $200 cheaper than the Epi. but also, it prolly will better complement my detailed and articulate Bergie, too. i dunno if its a "Top Tone" winner cause my Bergie's still sweeter, but its not nearly as bad as i had originally thought.

So, i'm here to take my foot outta my mouth and say i'm a believer too! this may sound like i got paid off by Aguilar (which i wouldnt mind... :D :D), but i just thought i'd share my MHO.

2. Glad you liked it after all!

Hope I fall in love with mine as much as you did yours 'cause mine should be here by early next week!

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    When I first saw your post this morning, I was jealous because my second GS112 was AWOL thanks to FedEx.

But, now that it has shown up, I can finally be happy for you. ;) Congrats.

A new Elrick, and a new Aguilar cab. It's good to be the King... :D

4. ntistt01

ntistt01

Apr 11, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I just bought GS112's this week also. My decision was heavily influenced by feedback from this forum. I must really trust you guys. I can't wait to get mine. I've never heard one before.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Sometimes, you can believe the hype. As long as you don't expect them to sound like 10s, you'll be happy. I was surprised by how much throatier they made my G and C strings sound. It was the first time my upper register solos sounded like bass. I really dug it, so I got a second one. It's sitting behind me a work as I type. I can't wait to plug it in and give it a good workout.

6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Two GHS112s together is swwwwweeeeeeet.

*homer voice*
    mmmmmmmmmmm bassy
    *homer voice off*

-KB

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Really?? woah, that musta sucked eggs. at least you got it back and its safe and sound. dont know what you used, but I never use FedEx Ground. took them a month to get a U-Retro to my house. oi... :rolleyes:

but thx dood. with an Aggie DB750 and a pair of GS112's, i'm sure you know the feeling. :p btw, your description in your last post is dead on, too. "Throaty" is a great word, and is prolly much of reason why i love it. adds a nice texture to my tone. my low B's got this groovy growl now that's sooo addictive to listen to.

oh, and Muni, dont worry, it'll rawk socks. IMHO, of all the cabs in its price range, nothing touches it in terms of tone and vibe. it may not be an Epi or Bergie, but its still an incredible bargain.

OT: I was always kinda confused as to why, BP would give the Epi and Bergie's 9 or 10 for value, when they were the most expensive of the bunch. With the Aguilar was in the shootout, you'd think it woulda messed the scoring curve, giving the Epi & Berg a lower value score. as much as i love my Bergie, the Aggie is clearly a more valued/tone winner.

8. dabassr

dabassr Gold Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2002
    Tx
    I've got a GS112 on its way also (should be here Fri with a DB 359). My original plan was to use it as a practice cab, but after reading reviews and talking to PJ at Aguilar, I'm thinking serious about adding a second one as my primary set up. Should be a fun weekend with all these new aggies!

9. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    YOU
    are gettin' out of hand......

;)

Niiiice (x2)

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    LOL,

i know larry, i know!!!

HELP!!!:eek: :eek:

11. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have a Bag End S15D which I use for most of my gigs because I also go through our board. I have a Peavey 4x10 but don't use it a whole lot because of the weight but love the sound. Can anyone tell me what the Aguilar 112 and the Bag End would sound like..I have the Ashdown MAG 400 head?

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You should read the editorial in the new BP issue. Bill Leigh says he thinks people misinterpreted a lot of the data in the Shootout. He was bothered that people wrote to him about buying the GS112 without actually going to listen to a few of the cabs in the shootout.

The BP "value" rating is based on price, the question being "is this a good value at this price", not "is this one a better value because it sounds great but costs less than this other one".

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm... thx bri for clearing that up.

still, i think the Aguilar is a great bargain for anyone looking for quality tone in an affordable package. had i not heard the Bergie 1x12, i woulda thought the more expensive cabs vs. the Aggie woulda been wastes of money.

14. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Congrats.

We have very similar setups.

Elrick GS 5
    2 x Aguilar GS112

ENJOY!