1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Halp deciding an amp D:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lukc, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Lukc

Lukc

Nov 10, 2012
    Portugal
    Alright, so I am poor. Ultra poor. Just warning. But I've been thinking of getting a new amp. And here are my options!

1. ORANGE! I love these. I absolutely love these. Especially the BT500C. I mean... Yeah. That's all I have to say. BUT HOWEVER!

2. Once when I was buying a compressor, I played through a Markbass. It was a tiny thing.... But I noticed the amazing sound it had. I loved it, and the guy at the store said "These are pretty cheap and are awesome.".

I also don't know Markbass well... So if anyone knows an amp of Markbass that is cheap and better then the BT500C please tell me. I know it's all opinions and stuff, but I can try it out myself.

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Well first thing neither of these brands are "cheap" and if you are poor they are out of your price range.

51ZoOAtRZML._SL500_AA300_.
    These go for over $1,300

41J5E2ezOLL.

These are close to $1,300

3. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    yup..nobody has ever used the words "cheap" and "markbass" in the same sentence

4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Shop CL. for real decent stuff will show up, but get a little more familiar with what's out there. GO PLAY STUFF. stick to stuff you can afford when window shopping. something will sound good to you. use your bass whenever you can when you're trying stuff. lurk and search the forums.

there probably aren't too many folks here who can speak of your exact matket, but you should be able to hear some good, real world experinces with amps you've looked at or are considering.

here in the states, a few hundrend in used gear will get far enough to jam with other musicians and do small gigs. some of the lower priced used markbass heads i've seen go for a smidge more than a used peavey combo that would fill the needs for loads of players.

what do you have now and why are you looking for more/different gear? budget?

5. Lukc

Lukc

Nov 10, 2012
    Portugal
    Well I am not too "poor" but I also focusing on getting a new bass. So it will take me a long while to raise money for a huge one. I play with a Fender Rumble 15 and while it's awesome, I doubt it will be enough for gigs. The other guy was saying 1,300 and that isn't TOO bad.

6. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    a 15 watt combo? ok. keep that you'll always be able to use for practicing and such. you may be able to do pretty good if a $1300 price tag just for a head doesn't scare the bejeezus out of you. you could do pretty well in the US for a whole rig, depending on your needs. keep looking locally. i figure this isn't news to you, but always factor in shipping and any international duty when you look online. i read lots of posts from overseas guys that basically have to rely on shipping to get gear. just in case you hadn't thought about that.

lots of people would agree that a solid, nice sounding 1x15 combo in the 100-150 watt range is a good next-step from a practice combo. a head and cab (eventually a second cab if necessary) is another way, but for pretty good stuff, might get close to topping out that budget.

7. Lukc

Lukc

Nov 10, 2012
    Portugal
    Nah, I've got some amazing stores near me. They pretty much ship stuff for me, and you don't pay extra for it. Plus, 1,300 Dollars is...900 Euros. That isn't too bad. Although, I was thinking about getting an awesome combo instead of going for a head and cab yet. Like that orange one I mentioned sounds and looks awesome.

8. Markbass is made in Italy so should be a little better value in Portugal.

9. 90dphillips

90dphillips

Jan 11, 2012
    Murrieta
    Markbass cabs are SUPER light and you can get a sparkling brightness out of the amp that characterizes the Markbass sound. They help you cut through a band to be heard in the mix quite well. You won't truly appreciate it until you've played it in a full band setting and hear the difference.

And did I mention lightweight? Yeah, when you start getting better gear, lightweight really starts becoming a qualification. They have my favorite cabs because the sound quality is still there and the durability is still there. They just won't break your back to carry from your car to the stage.

Oh. And they're super light.

Now what would possibly be most cost efficient?

But if you really like Orange, they're British if I'm not mistaken. So that would be a very similar distance to you.

I really like the sound of Orange amps. They have that warmness and feel most players want. They are perfect for just about any rock genre playing.

What if....

What if you took an orange head, and sat it on a Markbass cab...

Oh man.

10. Lukc

Lukc

Nov 10, 2012
    Portugal
    ... Dude I had to go get a change of underwear because of that thought. I love orange, and it's perfect for my band. And honestly, I know exactly what you are talking about in the Markbass thing. When I was trying it out there were tons of other players in the shop. And they were all being drowned out by my sound, it was awesome. In a totally jerky way, but I love to be heard XD And orange has that "Tiny Terror" head which not only sounds great, it's as the title says: Tiny XD So carrying something like that would be easy.