Ham/Radelet adjustable neck?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Mike Goodbar, Feb 18, 2004.

1. I was perusing bass-maker Brock Radelet’s site, and the site made mention of the adjustable neck that he features on his basses. The page simply states:

“To be completed soon! ...but for now I'll say that the adjustable neck is easy to use, designed to last hundreds of years and no one who has one wants to live without it.”

I understand that this is the same sort of neck that James Ham (Radelet was a student of Ham's) puts on his basses. Can someone explain the mechanics of how this sort of neck works? I can’t quite picture it.
  2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    "Completed Soon" is a relative term. That line's been on his site for quite some time.
  3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    As I understand it, the neck gets to slip in and out where it joins the body. You can raise the fingerboard up or down like you were adjusting the bridge up or down. Don't know if Ham also lets you tilt the neck back and forth too, but that would be a nice additional feature.
  4. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    I've seen one. The neck heel has a dovetail that rides in a slot in the neck block. You adjust it fore and aft with an allen key in the back button. No tilting! We discussed it in a previous thread.
  5. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
  6. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    I approached Hamm about those and he said he made them and did not seem to want to grant any access. Believe me though if they were available they would be a ton of money. Stuff like that pretty much has to be hand made by one shop and really couldn't be had for less than a grand.
  7. Those are sweet looking basses; I really like his varnish. Looks a lot like my bass...
  8. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Thanks for the info on the tuners, Jeff. I figured they had to be specialty (read: pricey) items... But MAN do they look nice!
  9. Brock Radelet

Brock Radelet

Mar 23, 2004
    Honestly, I'll do something about that..... It'll be good, I promise.

My server packed it in yesterday, so now I have a genuine excuse.

.... About the machines: Jeff you're right on: $1000. I had access to them when I was at Jim's shop. I use Sloanes now -- which, in my opinion (and my recent client's), work a litttle better. Having said that, I must admit that I was using Jim's very first run that were machined one at a time by a so-so machinest. I don't, however, see the advantage of the posts not crossing the peg pox, and see no dissadvantage if they do (as long as the D doesn't hit the G post...). It can be a real pain stringing the Hams as the wrapped end falls off the post. I think his series 2 will have slightly longer posts... but still... I do miss their 'exclusivity'. Sloanes work well, but they're a bit frumpy.

I wonder if I should even be here!

OK, all the best everyone.
  10. Hey, Brock. Welcome to TalkBass.

Your basses are absolutely magnificent to the eye (and to the ear, I'm sure, as well).

Do you consider these basses "solo" instruments only, or do you feel they are suited for orchestra work as well?
  11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Of course you should be here! Luthier input is one of the best aspects of TB, I think.

And I didn't mean to rank on you for the adjustable neck info...if it means you're busy building more of those beautiful basses, it's all for the best.
  12. Brock, I certainly think TBDB is a great place for you. Please stick around!
    Following on the heels of Mikes question about your basses being suitable for orchestral work, how about us jazzers? And have you had any jazz bassist clients?
  13. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Hey Brock! Welcome to Luthier Talk,,er...I mean Talk bass. Why would you say mebbe you shouldn't be here? We've got more bass luthiers here than any other place on the net[I believe]. You may be interested in this thread BTW-

Bear in mind that recently TB went thru an overhaul and picture files in old threads were lost. Please stay, but beware TB can become addictive!
  14. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    (We scared the last Canadian luthier into hiding... what was his name? Girard something...)

Brock, welcome to Talkbass. There are a lot of great people here, and some smartasses, too. Any plans to come to next year's ISB convention in Kalamazoo, Michigan?
  15. Brock Radelet

Brock Radelet

Mar 23, 2004
    Whao! I'm a bit overwhelmed. Thanks a lot!

I'll be back here later tonight -- I just wanted to acknowledge the Eastern Timezoners before it gets too late...

To quickly answer a couple of q's:

-I will be at the ISB convention (why is it in a place that is so hard to get to? -- travelling with a bass is hard enough....) (Although who wouldn't want to go to Kalamazoo?).

-Jazz players love to be able to change the action between arco and pitz in 5 seconds on stage without going out of tune.... I haven't had too many, but.....

-My basses are definately not solo only. My goal it to make truly versitile basses that have a big and warm bottom end for orchestral work, enough projection (and ergonomics) for solo work, and a certain sort of 'delicacy' for chamber playing (chamber requires awesome response and a useable pianissimo). Hopefully you'll see -- and if you disagree, I'd like to hear about it -- I'd rather not be deluded. My basses have a totally different character from Ham's. I go for a totally different kind of sound -- I'm really not fond of the solo-only lazer bass. I don't go for the wooly-can't-hear-it-from-20-feet-away bass either.

I'm hungry.

Oh good, my (needy) website is back up.... No excuses now.

16. Gerard Samija. He got into a spirited bit of verbal thrust and parry with Bob Branstetter a while back, and apparently hasn't posted since.
  17. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Is that what happened to Bob's knee? I always thought old GERBIL SAMURAI was more of a pacifist than that.
  18. If not, he needs more mushrooms in his diet.

We haven't heard from Bob B. for a while now, trust he's recuperating ok. Hopefully his knee surgery helps Bob Standbetter...
  19. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Bob Standbetter. He He ....Ha Ha ROTFL :) :p :) :p :)