Hambone is awesome

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SpankBass, Nov 4, 2002.

1. I don't know if anyone remebers, but I was having some problems with my bridge constantly ripping out. I had tried a couple remedies like toothpicks and wood glue and baking soda, but it wouldn't stay in.

When I brought it up to talkbass, Hambone offered to install threaded inserts for me. So I sent it off to Georgia, and he fixed just about everything wrong with it. Here's everthing that went into it:

1. Filled and camouflaged damaged screw holes from old bridge
    2. Redrilled new bridge mounting holes
    3. Installed brass threaded inserts for mounting new bridge
    4. Replaced old plated wood screws for 10-20 stainless steel oval head
    machine screws
    5. Shielded pickup and control cavities with aluminum tape
    6. Shielded back of pickguard with aluminum tape
    7. Installed special copper foil sandwich layers under bridge to bond
    ground wire
    8. Upgraded ground wire to 14 gauge
    9. Installed enhanced grounding circuit between bridge and individual
    control components
    10. Filled and retapped screw holes for pickguard.
    11. Cut and shaped 1/32" ash veneer shims for the neck pocket.
    12. Reassembled and did a quality check

Here are some pics:
    Here you can kind of see the damage caused from the screws ripping out so many times, this si a shot where he had already filled them up with...something.
  2. I haven't gotten the bass back yet (it takes like 6 days to get it across the US), but when I do, I'll post up a quick review on the improvments.

I'm glad I found a place like talkbass, I took this bass to a couple local guitar techs, and the just basically said "get a new bass."

Hammy is a good man, and I'm not advertising for him or anything but, he's definatly a guy to go to for these kind of probs.

Ok, so that was a bit of an advertisement. :D
  3. Looks great! Hambone did a fantastic job on the shielding.

That bridge looks nice! I might have to get one of those. I don't have a bass to put it on, maybe I'll have to buy another bass to put that bridge on!:D
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, and he makes a kickin' beer butt chicken, too. :D
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That's cool. Anyone who has read a number of his posts can tell Ham really knows his stuff.

That whole bass is massively improved! Good decision to send it to him......and super nice work!
  6. ...I am not going ANYWHERE near that comment..... :p

7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Congrats spanky and well done Hammy :D :)

Anything with more than 10 dot points is a good job :D
  8. So my fine from the police was good then???? :p

9. Hey spanky, that is a really nice bridge! And good job Hamy ;)

Just wondering, the aluminium foil (shielding?), what does it do? I noticed that where the pots on my new p/g go, have a strip of tape there..

Feedback welcomed :D
  10. Good man that Hambone.

I'd say he's going to heaven. (when it's his time) :D

Mike J.
  11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Looks like Hammy did a pretty fine job there! I hate that I've missed two ATL Get-Togethers, and my chance to meet Hammy, John, and all the others up there.
  12. Actually.....I have no idea.

But I know its good! :D
  13. Where is Hambone? Is he hiding?

14. He hasn't posted for a few weeks. I'm assuming that he has been awfully busy lately.
  15. Thank you for the good words gents!

Just helping out where I can. The things I did to Spanky's bass are all easily done by most of you. It will take a couple of nights of wrangling a disassembled instrument but it's worth it in the long run. Call it a sort of "super detailing".

I talked to Spankbass this evening and I've got to tell you that one couldn't ask for a better client. He was patient with some delay in getting the finished work back to him and showed great trust in allowing me to do what I needed to set things right. If you are looking for a guy to do bass work for, he might be your man! :)
  16. Yep, I am excellent at giving people money and telling them to fix something. :D

Anyway, I got it today (much quicker than expected), strung it up, gave it a quick setup, and plugged it in. Works perfectly. I didn't even notice how nasty it sounded earlier before Hammy straightened out everything under the pick gaurd.

As expected, the action was a little high, even with the saddles down as far as they could go (I was having this problem with the old bridge also), but, he cut out some shims for me. I haven't been able to experiment with them yet, but I probably will sometime tomarrow. Right now, it just feels nice to have her back. Now I need to work on my fretless techniques....:eek:

As Hammy said, I called him up earlier today, because I felt it was right to personally thank him (well personally over the phone. I'm not about to fly down there).

Actually, I might be flying down that way sometime to see a friend who lives abou an hour from Atlanta. Maybe I can schedule it sometime around the get together...

But anyway, thank you again Allan. :)