Hambone is now Retro'd

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Hambone, Jan 23, 2002.

1. OH MY gOD!!!!!

Got my J-Retro preamp yesterday, installed it today, tommorrow - THE WORLD!!

I know I'm a late comer to this party but I've just got to say what a killer piece of hardware this is. It is everything it's advertised to be and maybe just a little bit more. I'm in love all over again with my main instrument. The eyes of the smiley faces don't bug out far enough and the jaws aren't hanging low enough to use in this post. I think the J-Retro was about the only thing left to change on this bass and I certainly saved the best for last. Here's a description of it as it is now:

1989 Fender MIJITSO '62 Jazz Re-Issue in black - Twin sister to it's fretless 1996 version - chrome J-Retro, Seymour Duncan Basslines pups, black Schaller roller bridge, charcoal MOP pickguard, black Gotoh reverse Kluson style tuners, black string retainer, and black Schaller straplocks. Oh yes, the most important part: A musical imbecile behind the neck!

Now I've got to get one of these baby's for the fretless and, though I won't be mistaken for a talented musician, folks will know I can pick out the hardware.
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Come on, how do you REALLY feel? ;) How was the installation? Easy? I figure it can't be more than dropping it in with a little pickup soldering here and there, although according to BP it could be a tight fit.
  3. Installation was pretty easy, but I passed on soldering the pups directly to the board. I opted, instead, to attached a pair of plugs to my pup leads and put them on the posts. These were the type of plug that's on a battery pack from a cordless phone handset. If anything happens to the preamp, I can then just unlug it for removal.

Tight fit sums it up. My bass has just the slot under the bell plate and the slot narrowed just slightly toward the bottom of the body. That only meant that the battery couldn't slide all the way down under the cord jack. But it all fit and without any modification. Funny thing, the screw at the point of the plate didn't come close to lining up with the old hole even though the top two screws matched perfectly. I assume that the assembly is just a scoshe longer than the stock plate.
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I prefer my scoshe toasted with butter. :D

JRetros rule. I love mine. I also had a tight fit in my MIA 75 Jazz Reissue, so when I shielded everything, I went ahead and Dremeled the cavity so I wouldn't have to futz with the battery to make it fit. So, now, it has plenty of room.
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    steve barr was showing the "stomp-retro" stomp box version of the preamp at the dude pit party last thursday at namm. very cool indeedy.
  6. For me, the only problem I can see with the stomp box is that it's harder to fiddle with. And boy do I want to fiddle with the controls on this body mounted rig!

Now I want one for the fretless AND the Kawai.