Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HAMBONE!!! what did u do to me, man??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by neptoon, Apr 9, 2001.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, hambone, u know...i found myself in the local lumber store trying to find some plywood planks large enough to try cutting out and shaping a body to see if i could actually do it myself. when i saw your jazz the other day (which i thought was awesome, btw, and played like buttah ;-) ), i said to myself...i could prolly do that...yeah, i know, delusions of grandeur, right? heheh that's why i'm gonna use plywood first instead of that *clears throat* black walnut and mahogany my dad found in his woodshop...heheh ;-) if you're interested, when i come back from sea, i could prolly hook you up with some veneer, no charge... he's got all sorts of stuff. he stopped most of his building after he almost lost three of his fingers to a planer :eek: just let me know what you want, and he's prolly got it. most of his stuff is for turning on a lathe or is either a veneer, but he has a few planks suitable for building a body. just let me know...the boat comes back tomorrow, so we'll be in refit---translated: i'll be werkin' my butt off---for about three weeks, so i'll be here for a little while longer...alrighties...

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey, neptoon,

Glad to see you made it back to Mississippi in one piece. Good luck at sea! If I hear about any International incidents, I'll suspect you. Be nice to the whales with your Thumb Bass....

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i didnt' do it!! you didn't see me do it!! you can prove a #@!$ thing!! heheh...as far as the whales go...they don't let me bring my amp with me. and hey, when's that curbow site gonna be updated? :D

4. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It'll be quite a while before the Curbow site gets a facelift. I'm still talking to him about what he wants, and he has some homework to do before I can get started on it. But, I'll be posting it here first when I get the thing up.

5. Neptoon, thanx for the vote of confidence.

I will accept your gracious offer. And I don't really care what you come up with. I've been collecting different woods for my little luthiery pile since the first of the year so anything you can add will be greatly appreciated. Right now I've got these species in hand:

1. Enough AAA flame maple to make the top halves of 2 more basses - 4 if I go 3/8" thick

2. Enough loopy grain walnut to do 2 backs or faces

3. Basswood for the cores of 2 veneered basses

4. Some beautiful ash, enough for 1 full top or 2 veneered bodies

Right now, I'm also brain storming on some different things to do. Let's see if any of these ideas can get a rise from the peanut gallery:

1. Solid/hollow body - essentially a Jazz body from some decently dense wood but as nearly totally hollow as I can make it. Same contours as the solidbody.

2. All wood Jazz - a bit different than it sounds. What I've come up with is something like a deep stained walnut body with the jazz pickguard actually being a light colored piece of flame maple veneer inlaid into the body. The control plate would be metal but inlaid also. Totally smooth across the face.

3. Binding/purfling accents - I don't really like some of the joints between body slabs so I thought of acquiring some of the very detailed purfling strips made for acoustic guitars and inlaying them over the seams. Would look best on a natural bass.

4. Narrow Jazz - After hefting the CAD/CAM, I wondered why I had to be faithful to the original Fender 1 5/8" body thickness. No stinkin' reason I can think of! So, how about a Jazz body that comes in at 1½" thick or less. It fits most wood dimensions a bit better and is lighter.

5. Inlaid necks - I've acquired 2 maple/maple necks for use in upcoming projects. One of these was cheap enough to act as a real guinea pig. First I'm going to try to reprofile it to Jazz dimensions (from it's current P size) If it survives that, I'm thinking of trying a new method of doing a full length inlay on the fretboard. That's where I'll begin using some veneer. If I can't find figured veneer then I'll use some plain and stain it to what I need.

6. Rosette Bass - If you've ever seen the extremely intricate soundhole rosettes on acoustic guitars, you've seen the main idea. How about a black bass with piezo pups. But in the normal pup position, inlaying one of these beautiful round rosette patterns. From a distance it would sort of look like and acoustic but close up would boggle the mind.

That's what's happenin' in the Hambone shops for the near future.

As to your desire to fashion a body from something other than a premium wood, I should have brought the original test template for the CAD/CAM bass. It was carved to test the program and do some fitting of various parts. What I used was a composite material known as MDF. This stands for Medium Density Fiberboard. It appears as a nearly solid brown color since it is made from very finely ground wood pulp that is compressed under heat with adhesives to make a very dense but easily worked product. You can carve it like wood but it cuts like paper (almost) or you can use files, sanders, or just about anything to shape it with. You can buy it in ¾" thicknesses and a single 2' x 4' piece from Home Depot can do a body for about $4.00. Since there isn't any grain, it is easier to work than plywood. After you've finished it, you can seal it with poly to keep it from getting worn and then ship it to me and I'll make a complete computer pattern for you. Call it a payback for the veneer.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Hey Hambone, feel like making a 6 or 7 string? we might could talk.... :)

7. Jon, the only thing that would hold me up from making a big multi is the neck. I'm not making my own right now. I'm studying the process but am not confident enough yet to stake the success of a project on this most important part of the instrument.

BUT...if you were to acquire a 6 or 7 string neck(where would you get a 7???) I would be more than confident of producing a body and assembly to compliment it. I know Warmoth has some big multi's but I don't know (right this instant) what's really available. Of course, with this route, you would be making a very custom assemblage of parts to suit your tastes. Pups, electronics, bridge, etc. would all be tailored for whatever you wanted.

If I had to guess the cost of a project like this, I would say something just shy of what you paid for your latest Conklin 7. But that's just a guess.

Since you wear them so high, I bet I could put in a set of custom nipple indentions for your pleasure and comfort! :)

8. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    oooh, kinky!! daddy like :D ;)

9. Well, that education didn't take long...I just popped over to Warmoth. I took a look in the Thrift shop and found 2, 7 string necks - a mahogany/ebony and a maple/ebony both with a rather sheik offset square dot. Both were under $200!! That's a steal for a neck of this quality. They were 2" at the nut and that seemed nice and narrow. With that kind of foundation you couldn't go wrong.

10. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    unfortunately, those are 7 string guitar necks, they don't do bass necks. my bass neck is 2 -3/4" at the nut and 4" at the 24th fret.........

But if you find something....

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey, Pacman,

You could give Curbow a call and see how much it would cost for him to make you a seven string neck. I can't think of anything better than rockwood for a neck--especially one as wide as a 7, and I know he'll do a neck to your specs. Might be worth it as a project bass, might be cost prohibitive. Dunno, I haven't priced one from him.

Just an idea. And, no, I'm not a shill for Curbow. : - )

12. Hambone, all that stuff you're doing sounds really, really cool! You're gonna be a luthier before too long. And, when you are, I'll have you make me a bass. Your fretless #00001 is sweet.

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, hey that sounds awesome...i just got home from being on the boat for two days, so i'm kinda worn thin, but i'll see what i can do about that wood! and thanx for telling me about that material. sounds a little easier than plywood ;-) i've worked that stuff before, and i've had my share of wood splintering and all sorts of other nightmares. heheh...if you can work plywood, you can work anything though, i guess...well, i'll get with ya later! thankies, man!!