Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hamburg bass? (from Jim Laabs superstore)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by booch, Aug 12, 2004.

1. booch

booch

Aug 12, 2004
    Hey,

does anyone have info on these basses? I found no website whatsoever stating they would produce or sell them other than Jim Laabs.

The offer on eBay was the following:
    Solid Carved Spruce Top from Fridged Slow Growth Climates
    Finest Quality Ebony Wood Fingerboard and Tailpiece
    Beautiful Flamed Maple Back and Sides with Shaded Staining
    Inlaid Purfling
    Quality Bass Bag
    Brazil Wood German Bow
    Retail Price: $3,450.00
    Auction Price: $1,470.00 (starting bid), Buy now price: $1,599.00

I found virtually no information on these basses. Is it correct their retail price is that? If the only shop selling them is JimLaabs they could write $30K retail as well.
    And what about the quality? Has anyone played such a model before?

Thanks in advance,
    booch

2. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I've played one that was purchased by a guy down here. It looked and sounded great for the money...better than my Strunal (though I didn't pay as much for mine).

3. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    I'd highly recommend you do a search on "Jim Laabs" and read the threads. You can start here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134781&highlight=Jim+Laabs Also, if you're looking on ebay, take the time to check their feedback. Lots of comments about slow service and poor communication, even in some of the positive feedback. I've heard that Lemur sells the same model of bass, you might want to check them out.

4. booch

booch

Aug 12, 2004
    Thanks for the comments, especially for the thread link! If anyone still has something to add, all opinions are welcome!

I did a search on Jimlaabs before posting (although olnly in connection with the Hamburg bass) and found general unsatisfaction concerning the customer service; several people stated though that they were satisfied with their instrument after a pro setup.

However, I am reluctant to buy something without being able to try it (I'm in Europe); especially in this (concerning double basses) low price range. From here it would be a terrible hassle to replace the bass, or send it back (transport is about $500...).

5. I have a hamburg 3/4 and i love it. the sounds is very mellow, great for jazz

6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I think that after four years, the OP probably made a decision. :)