Hamer B8S measurements

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mos6507, Oct 20, 2005.

1. mos6507

Jun 28, 2005
    I'm in the process of finalizing a work order to commission a doubleneck bass. Both necks are going to be short (30.5") scale. The top will be an 8-string and the bottom will be a Bass VI (EADGBE) six-string.

The problem I have right now is to settle on the measurements at the nut, bridge, neck contour and radius.
    I posted this over at the forums of 12stringbass.com but I figured I might be more likely to get a response over here...

I bought a Schecter Stiletto Studio 8 and found the long stretches and tight strings to be too restrictive in the kinds of runs I could do on it. So I returned it. I also owned a Hellcat VI briefly and found it to be much more comfortable to play. I returned that one because the slots on the bridge were not cut properly.

So I think the short-scale is a safe bet. But I need to specify nut width, bridge width and string spacings.

I got the measurements of the BC Rich Bich 8 and was shocked at how narrow the nut supposedly is (~39mm). From the looks of the Hamer B8S, the bridge looks narrow and the nut looks wide to the point where there is very little tapering from the bridge to the nut. This looks to me like it would be quite easy to play with a pick.

So could someone give me some measurements? So far all I've been able to find is the nut width on the B12S (1 13/16th"). Don't know if the width would be the same on the B8S. It might be a tad less?

I was thinking of just asking for a 47mm nut, which would be about a half mm wider than 1 13/16th".

Unfortunately there is no easy way to get Hamer-style bridges so my luthier may have to make one from scratch. Hamer is reluctant to sell these standalone. If anyone has a spare, let me know. I don't know if the width of the bridges is different on the short vs. medium. vs. longscale Hamers.