1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hamer B8s vs. Hagstrom H8?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Winston TK, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Anyone with any experience with these have some tidbits to pass along regarding tone, playability, etc.?

2. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    Hamer is a small production usa shop, and all they're stuff is top quality and seriously undervalued in the used market. The B8S (short scale 8 string?) is going to be a great quality instrument. -I don't know anything about Hagstrom, but from the 4 or 5 I've seen up close, I wouldn't compare them to a USA Hamer.

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The Hagstrom has very tight spacing. I just measured mine at 1 5/8" nut-width, and appx. 30.5" scale.

4. Never used a Hamer but I've owned my H8 Hagstrom since 1978, with a 4 string (HII?) added in 1982.
    The 8 has spent most of it's life as a 4. It's fantastic to play, the neck is just so shallow (more so than the 4) and as I play a lot of chords/simultaneous strings this is a big plus. Sound is objective, but I love the hags.

NB- could do with some spares - 2 x 8 string pick-ups, a scratchplate and the string hold-down on the headstock for an 8 - any offers?
    Cheers,
    Steve

5. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I've owned 2(and still own 1) Hamer B12S(the 12-string brother of the B8S), and used to own a Hag 8. They're night and day really. The Hag is pretty light while the Hamer is the heaviest bass I've ever owned. The Hamer has an active preamp, the Hag is passive. The Hag doesn't have much of a tone control, just a switch(plus switches for each p/u, a mute switch, and volume pot). The bridge on the Hag is prehistoric and has little contact with the body, the Hamer's bridge is amazing. The Hag's neck is very skinny.
    hamer12body.
    hamer12head.