Hamer Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lorenzo251, Aug 6, 2013.

1. lorenzo251

lorenzo251

Jul 19, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Just looking for feedback on Hamer basses as far as playability / reliability. I am looking at a used 4 string that seems OK, but I don't know much about the Hamer brand and don't see many in use. Thanks.

2. If you find a USA jazz style with a 2-tek bridge (or not) cheap, scoop it up. Great basses, better than most USA Fenders off the shelf I have played. They took their time on those basses.

3. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I've had 2, still have 1, but they were from the late 80s/early 90s, and made in USA. They were hi-quality instruments. I can't speak for the imports.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Exactly what bass are we talking about here?

They made some seriously nice instruments and some "meh" instruments. I had a Hamer USA Cruise Bass that was killer (the US jazz style with 2-Tek bridge mentioned above).

5. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Why yes.. though I did swap out the stock Duncans for some Ultra Jazz :ninja:

trc4.gif

pg2-1.gif

pg4.gif

I also added an Aluminum pickguard and trc from fretsonthe net :bassist:

6. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    You need to be more specific. What is the exact model bass.

I've found the imports to be unremarkable, but every US model I've owned was top quality. I have a mid-90's Cruise bass that's fantastic.

azcw.jpg

7. lorenzo251

lorenzo251

Jul 19, 2013
    Los Angeles
    The one looked at looks like a Cruise bass model, but doesn't carry the words "Cruise bass" or "USA" on it. I'm guessing it is an import. It cosmetic problems on the body, but the neck is OK. May take a chance on it if I can get it cheap. Thanks for all of your feedback and the pics!

8. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    I had a US Cruise 5 with a 2-tek bridge. It had an asymmetrical neck profile that was very comfortable to play. It felt great and it sounded really good. Mine was passive with stacked Duncan pickups.

9. Trus3683

Trus3683

Feb 14, 2013
    California, USA
    Read this for what it's worth.
    On both ends of a spectrum, I've read that Fender stated that they'd be discontinuing the Hamer line this past February. (That may mean super cheap basses soon!). It means that they're probably not selling, so Fender is making no money on them and that they're cutting their losses.

I also know that Jeff Ament from Pearl Jam used Hamers in the 90's before Fender bought the brand out. He plays a 12 string on 'Jeremy'.

MY opinion: I personally wouldn't trust newer Hamer models unless they were USA, or 20 years old, but you never know.
    My friend has a PJ that was in pretty rough condition but still played pretty well. I don't know how old, or new it was. I just know it had changed hands many times and survived plenty of abuse.

10. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Probably a Korean import. Look on the back of the headstock. The serial number and "Made in Korea" should be there. I wouldn't spring for one of these unless I could get it for well under $200.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021