Hamer Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPlayerGush, Oct 3, 2002.

1. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    Yay or nay?
    what famous players use them?
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

I like mine bunches... I'm only famous within a 3 foot radius of where I happen to be standing at any given time :)

Rick Savage was cool as crap in the "Photograph" and other Def Leopard videos from that era with his Explorer shape 4, Doug Pinnick uses some lefty Hamer 12 stringers, Jeff Ament's got a couple 12'ers too.

I've seen them around over the years... I wasn't looking for a Hamer, I just liked it enough to buy it.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm not famous, but I play a Hamer 12 string, the Korean version. I like it, for what I use it for.
  4. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Fima Ephron used a 5 string hammer on the Natalie Merchant tour. He's famous as far as I'm concerned. SHT!!!!!!
  5. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    I think the guy out off Judas Priest uses one.

6. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Although he's switched makes, Tom Petersson was the bassist that Hamer developed the 12-string bass for originally. Hamer's association with Cheap Trick had a lot to do with their entry into the manufacturing business.
    I've got a Hamer Cruise with the 2-Tek bridge, and it's a very nice bass. Great sound, and easy-playing, thin neck. I don't how the quality is since Paul Hamer sold the company, but the USA models are generally solid instruments.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You ought to go for a signature bass - the "Hamer Gweimer" has a nice ring to it!! ;)
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    A local shop Classic Axe in Manassas, VA, has a NOS 5 strin g 2 Tec Cruise fretless that causes me to drool every time I walk into there. :) THe US Hamer's are great as far as I'm concerned. A friend of mine has a "Slammer" guitar and he loves it.
  9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I have no experience with the imports, but the US made Hamer is a quaility instrument. I have the Explorer shaped Hamer Blitz. I bought it in the early 80s and it has served me well. Plays good, sounds good. The neck seems a mile long though.
  10. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I recently got a US made Cruise 5 w/2tek and it's great.

Tai Anderson from Third Day plays Hamer Cruise basses some.