1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hamer Blitz bass, identification

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cbs44, Oct 18, 2017.

1. cbs44

cbs44

Jan 10, 2017
    I picked up what I believe is a Hamer Blitz bass. Here's the issue the headstock looks like it might have been painted and HAMER letters stuck on. No Serial number on the back of the head stock. The Tuners say Hamer with what looks like a lockset screw on top of the tuner. Hamer USA bridge and looks like old pickups. Any help in tying to nail down what I actually have here is appreciated. Had a hard time finding out any details online. details Hopefully the pics will help.

Attached Files:

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    That isn't a real Hamer logo on the headstock. Looks to me like the headstock has been stripped of the original finish and repainted.

I had one of these, a five string I had Hamer custom build for me. The neck was mahogany; it looks like yours is, too.

Had a bit of an accident and the headstock on mine cracked pretty badly in the area of the nut and truss rod access hole, same problem as many Gibsons have. My headstock didn't completely come off, and it was pretty easy to repair.

Look really closely around that area on yours, I wouldn't be surprised if you find evidence of a repair, hence the repainted headstock.

Still a very nice bass, just be careful not to whack the headstock too hard.

cbs44 likes this.
  3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    BTW, that does look like a genuine Hamer Blitz. Everything but the headstock logo looks accurate - set neck, the contour of the heel, knob layout, rear cavity cover, etc.

As I recall, my serial number wasn't stamped into the wood. It was just an ink stamp on the paint, on the back of the headstock.

cbs44 likes this.
  4. cbs44

cbs44

Jan 10, 2017
    Thanks - I just picked it up this morning for cheap $, I'll carefully examine it later today.

5. cbs44

cbs44

Jan 10, 2017
    I check the headstock, looks like couple of cracks that were repaired.