Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hamer Cruise 2T

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gweimer, Oct 19, 2000.

1. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I just became the proud owner of a Hamer Cruise bass with the 2Tek bridge. As with any new bass, I'm in that period where I'm trying to figure out what brings the best out in the bass. With this animal, it would seem that picking the right strings is a key element. It was fitted with new taperwounds when I got, and I promptly yanked them in favor of a somewhat heavy gauge of Brite Flats. Don't think these strings will do justice to this axe, so now I'm looking for a better fit. Another thing is the fact that the tuning keys (Schaller) have very small posts, making it REALLY hard to wind thicker gauged strings. I'm considering the Pressurewounds from GHS, but I thought I'd ask anyone who's had one of these what they found. Not only for strings, but anything else as well.

2. Dave S...

Dave S...

Oct 13, 2000
    Gweimer,

What a great bass those are...I've had mine for about 3 years. I've usually used DR Hi-Beams. I've fought CTS for about 8 years, so gauges have run from .030-.090 to .040-.100 recently.

I heard people didn't like taperwounds on the 2-TEK bridge, since the taper started too early. I saw a suggestion that they use a GHS contact core extra long scale (available from their 'custom-shop' in a .040-.101) so I tried a couple of sets. The set-up adjustments were a bit of a pain, since the strings sat lower in the saddle, and I had problems with weird overtones on the low 'E.'

However, recording with a pick sounded just great for a clean rock tone. Don't know if I'd use those for a gig, though...

I may go back to D'addario XL, even though they're nickel plated, but I'm mostly a stainless guy.

BTW, I put Basslines active EQ pups in mine and enjoy them thouroghly. The stock duncans were also fine, I just like the slight tone difference.

A great bass with little name recognition...

Best Wishes