Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hamer Cruise Bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MascisMan, Mar 9, 2004.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    is there anyway to differentiate between the USA and Korean Cruise basses by just looking at them? I mean like aesthetically on the body or headstock or anything?

2. Look at the logo decal on the headstock. If it is USA made, there will be a small USA just to the right of the "R" in HAMER. If the USA is not there, it is an import...period.

3. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    so the "USA" is on ALL Hamer Cruise USA basses?

4. It's that way and always has been on ALL Hamer basses and guitars. It was that way before Hamer even started offering imports. By the way, Hamer imports are usually good. I had an import 5-string CruiseBass and I have an Echotone (335 clone) guitar but my USA 4-string 2-TEK CruiseBass is my all-time favorite bass.

5. ThunderBoomer

ThunderBoomer

Feb 22, 2004
    I thought the non-U.S. Cruise basses were from Japan. That's usually how I see them on eBay.

6. They are Korean. I've seen the auction you're talking about. I think the first time he offered it, he offered it as a USA. I think he's absolutely clueless, not necessarily a thief but certainly clueless.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i hate to bash anyone but i havent seen a non usa cruse i liked - i cried when they moved the factory and discontinued the usa cruise
    both the gotoh and 2-tek models were great, although i really didnt care for the feel of the 5's
    fwiw, i got my daughter one of the hamer slammer short scale basses for >200 (they sorta look like the 12-strings or an SG) - great bass, i'd gig with it

8. My Korean 5-string CruiseBass was okay, sounded good but the USA bolt-on CruiseBasses (mine is a 2-TEK) are incredible. I can't imagine a better passive 4-string Jazz style instrument. At least you're in the right town to find out first if they start making them again!

9. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    1- The US Cruise models got 2-Tek or Gotoh bridges.
    2- The US Cruise models got 3-piece maple neck.
    3- The US Cruise models got better electronics.

10. Hamer's output is not what it was when they were in Arlington Heights. I believe they only put out 3 instruments a day. I find it amazing that the bolt-on CruiseBasses didn't sell well.