Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hamer Cruise Basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jobu3, Feb 26, 2005.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Are the 5-strings 35" scale? It doesn't look that way from the pix I've seen... :eyebrow:

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    almost 110% they are 34"

3. Kindness

Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    Chicago
  4. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    I work for the company that owns Hamer and I have two Cruises...I can state as fact..... 34"

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Dude! Hook me up with a deal! ;)

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    and what about body tone wood on the american 2tek cruise bass?

alder on all models done? or other woods were used?

7. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    they were all alder.

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thank you so much, I have on here on loan form a close friend. it's a bass which i love. i'll try to explain.

the bass actually needs a setup, on the A string. and the string are deader that death. so the sound is good if played alone, a little bit blurry. this for sure due to old string.

what i feel great with this bass is neck playability (wonderful),feel and balance.

warm tone. pickups are seymour duncan and i am not so well informed on the model. would be great to make a setup, fresh strings. a pickup change could be considered too.

great bass.

9. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    My 1985 Hamer Cruise Bass,Mahogony body,set neck,rosewood board. 34" scale. Ice pearl. factory EMG pickups.One of my favorite Basses this Bass is a road warrior.

10. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    That's a different Cruise. I think we're speaking of the bolt on, J-Bass body shaped one.

11. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Here's my USA Cruise with the 2TEK and Sadowsky pickups:

[​IMG]

12. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I saw one of those in a store in 1997. I should have bought it.
    It was a really cool color Blue,and it played really nice.So many Basses so little money. :)

13. Mob

Mob

Jan 12, 2005
    ewwww hamer...

14. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    this thread is getting more and more interesting.

with the help of hasbeen, if you are intereted, obviously, we could build a really good thread. with great informations about this bass. i really do not completely understand why this bass was not a big commercial success. i still remember that it was also featured in bass player with a promotional full page in the hands of a wonderful girl.

it had great playability, and sound. same for build quality but i have the feeling that it never scored high.

hasbeen, would you interested in getting some questions related to the production of these basses ( i am speaking about the bolt ons as the lovely sunbirst one here posted) ?

with a serial number would be possible to have it dated?
    haw many were made?
    where they were made (chicago) ?

i have so many questions.....

15. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    If seems like at that time "the brand" Hamer was more associated with rock..I also remember lot's of younger players getting Hamer and Kramer confused, they sort of got "lumped-in" if you will..this may have eaten into there target market somewhat..

16. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I actually have an import Cruise that's been modded with Dimarzio pickups and Gotoh tuners. Plays and sounds great, especially for the paltry 125 bucks I paid for it. Has a nice tobacco burst finish that isn't fotoflame.

17. Kindness

Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I currently have three 5-string USA Hamer Cruises from '96 (one fretted, one fretless) and '97 (different electronics). The first digit in the serial number tells you what year it was made. 6 for '96, 7 for '97. The '96s have the original 2tek bridge and my '97 has the second (smaller) version of the 2tek. I thought they were made in Arlington Heights, IL, which is in the northwest suburbs of Chicago.

18. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've loved every 4 string USA cruise I've ever played, even the one with EMG-JVs and active EQ. Just a great bass. I also absolutely loved a Chapperal PJ that was their top of the line right before the cruise came out. That was one of my favorite basses ever ... alas, I was 15 and lacked the money. It had a quilt top and I think they wanted 2 grand for it. I played it in the shop many a time though, through big Trace Elliot stacks.

Although I never played one, my understanding was that the 5s were not as good as the 4s. Opinions?

19. Kindness

Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I've played both. I prefer the 5s. They are both the same consistently high quality, I believe it's just a matter of preference.

20. I have a '96 2-TEK Cruise and it has become my #1, superceding my Rumblefish XL. Hamer is still headquartered in CT. You can find 2-TEK and Gotoh equipped CruiseBasses for about $500; in my opinion that's just about as much bang for the buck as you're ever likely to see. By the way, Barroso, the 2-TEK CruiseBass got a perfect score from Bass Player when it was reviewed. I have played the 5's and they are just as well made as the 4's. Hamer's (USA) quality control is excellent; the materials, components and workmanship are always top notch.