Hamer Cruise

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rick Martin, Sep 26, 2000.

1. What's with the Hamer Cruise? I see them on ebay and on the MF web site, but I've never seen one in a shop. Are they similar to a Fender Jazz? If so, would it be a step up from a MIM Jazz?
  2. Yes!!! Hamer Cruise basses are sweet and worth the money.I played one years ago and fell in love(I even owned a Stingray at the time and hated to admit that the Cruise was in certain ways better.)OOOOppppsss,I know I'm gonna start controversy with that remark.(BTW,I still own a Stingray,in spite of that)! Bass Player magazine had an article on basses for under a grand and the Cruise scored well.Nothing against the Mexico basses,but if you play one and then try the American made gear,there is a big difference.
  3. I like the thin narrow neck on the Jazz bass. Even a P Bass neck feels too chunky to me. Does the Cruise have a thin, narrow neck?
  4. mr t

mr t

Aug 24, 2000
    manhattan, ks
    the cruise bass is a really nice bass. i had one with a 2-tek bridge a few years ago, and i have yet to find a production bass that i think is truly better. the neck is a three-ply maple bolt-on, but the heel is quite contoured and allows easy access to higher frets. the neck is quite slim and easy to play. great sounding bass. if you have any other questions, just ask. i know this is going against what a lot of people feel, but i feel the hamer cruise is better than a fender usa j. just my opinion.
  5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have a friend who owns a 5 string fretless Cruisebass with 2Tek bridge, one of the last American-made ones. It's a really nice, solid, singing bass, but it's heavy. Judging by the most recent Hamer catalog I've seen, though, I think they only make the Korean ones these days-I haven't tried any of those.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There's a shop that I played one at in north suburban Chicago. It was a semi-hollow body with a 2-Tek bridge. The bass was one of the better one's I've played, and in my opinion, sounded better than almost any Fender I've yet come across (though a '61 Fender Jazz I played several years ago made me wish I was a crazed millionairre...)

It was a really comfortable feel with a fast neck, probably somewhat similar in feel to a Fender Jazz: not at all like the Fender Precision.
  7. Hey Rick!!!The other fellas have summed it up!!!Although I've never had the pleasure of playing a Cruise with the 2 Tek bridge.I'm not sure if the one I played years ago was made in Korea or the U.S.,but it made me wish I could buy one!!
  8. MF doesn't keep the Cruise in stock. I can order one and wait 5 weeks, but I'm not inclined to do that having never even seen one up close let alone played it. GC and Mars in Miami don't stock em so I don't think I'll get to try one out.
  9. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    The Cruise 2Tek is on my list of "gotta get" basses. With any luck, and a little cash, this will be the next to join my little collection. Right now, the prices seem to be really low, so I'm trying to put a little cash aside for Christmas.
  10. What's a 2TEK? Is that anything like a Henway?
  11. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    The 2TEK bridge is probably the most advance bridge ever built. It will cost you about $200 for the bridge, and there are only 3 people in the country authorized to install it (I'm fortunate to know one of them). What this bridge does is isolate each string on it's own saddle; the resonance of an individual string is not dependent, or affected, by the other strings.

Go here for more info: http://www.cyber-tec.com/boogie/2tekinfo.html
  12. The Hamer Cruise listed on the MF web site doesn't say anything about the 2Tek bridge and when I called MF, the guy didn't even know about Hamer, so it was easy to get him with the Henway joke. I suppose not all Cruise Basses come equipped with the 2Tek bridge and those that do probably cost more then the $419 the MF web site shows. Maybe I'll look for a Hamer web site.
  13. mr t

mr t

Aug 24, 2000
    manhattan, ks
    rick, i was trying to find a good pic for you (of the ones from the mid-90's), but couldn't. i would suggest trying to find a used u.s.a. one. i think they're going for around 4-600 or so.
  14. The Hamer web site only shows the Cruise Bass as an import and they don't say much about the bridge. Do you suppose they have discontinued their MIA line with the 2Tek bridge?
  15. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah, the Hamer Cruise is very similar to a Jazz Bass (two soapbars). I'm not positive but I think that the 2Tek was standard for a couple of years only, and I think the model is referred to as the Cruise-2T. The Cruise bass is still in production, but with a different bridge (and it looks fairly typical.).
  16. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'll just throw this in. I have a much cheaper Hamer, the Hamer Slammer four string and I have absolutely no complaints. I feel it is an unusually good-looking bass for its price range, too. It even has a tobacco Sunburst finish. I don't even know if it was American made or otherwise, but because of my experience with this bass, I would say that the better models must be pretty reliable too.

Jason Oldsted
  17. I was bidding on a Cruise on ebay, but the auction ended with me as high bidder at $213 and the reserve not met. It was a two tone sunburst, no pickguard and included a hard case. The seller emailed me after the auction and said his reserve had been $700, but he would let it go for $400. I passed because I'm not about to spend that much for a bass sight unseen unless I could return it for a refund like with MF.
  18. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Ummm....you got an email for that guy?

19. Here is the email address for the Cruise dude

20. I have one of the USA Hamer Cruise 2TEK five strings. It was my number one bass until recently when I got my Zon Sonus 5. There should be a picture of it somewhere at my web page. If you want closeups of the 2TEK, let me know. I'm in the process of moving but will be able to take digital photos of it later next week.