1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hamer Custom Shop - Where is Jol Dantzig?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by agreatheight, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Can anyone here tell me what ever happened to Jol Dantzig of Hamer? I am a big fan of the Hamer 8 and 12 strings from back in the Hamer Custom Shop days as was wondering what he might be doing these days? Anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Found it - apparently the Custom Shop at Hamer is still around! I was under the impression that when Kaman bought Hamer that it went away (maybe it did, maybe it didn't - not sure) but it's alive and well on Hamer.com and so is Jol!

2. http://www.hamerfanclub.com

Joshua, if they decide to build one for you, could you order one for me while you're at it? I'll pay you on Tuesday. :D

They aren't making any bolt-on instruments any more. The Monaco bass looks interesting, though.

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'd love to get them to build me a Chapperal PJ like I drooled over in about '90.

4. Wow - Hamer fans, very cool! I love my Hamer and always wanted to get another one - no I guess I can! Does anyone know if the custom shop actually closed for a while? I could be remembering incorrectly (it was a while ago), but I though after Kaman bought Hamer the customs stopped for a while. Anyone know about that?

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Hey, cool page: http://www.hamerfanclub.com/bass.html

Now that I think about it more, I think the bass I was gaga about was an early chapperal "max" with a set neck, quilt top, and EMG P and soapbar pickups, not a PJ. I panned the blend full forward, plugged it into a trace elliot 8x10 rig and WOW. Perfect tone.

You guys ever seen any of those pop up on eBay?

6. AFAIK, the custom shop never closed except for a brief period (like a few days) during the move from Chicago to Connecticut. You see Chap and Blitz basses as well as 1st generation (set-neck PJ) and 2nd generation (bolt-on JJ) CruiseBasses on e-Bay regularly...and they're almost always very cheap.

7. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Here's mine, I used to have a second one in black. They were all I played in the mid-90s. I used to have a string deal with Hamer till Kaman took over.:crying:
    hamer12head.
    hamer12body.