Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hamer or Ibanez?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by muzfuz, Oct 2, 2000.

1. muzfuz

muzfuz

Oct 2, 2000
    I want to get a new bass, and Im really leaning towards the Hamer Cruise Five string from Musicians Friend. All my friends are saying to get Ibanez (most of them dont even know hamer)

Is there a better Ibanez 5 string for around the same price?

2. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Who's going to play this bass, you or your friends?

Get what feels and sounds good to YOU.

-GM

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Like GM said, you are the one who need to decide what you want.

But, what price are we talking about?

More than likely the Hamer is going to be your best bet, IME the under $1000 Ibanez' are OK, but you can do better.

Maybe if you had a specific Ibanez model and a price comparison it would be easier to give advice.

:)

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Hey, its your decision dude :) Get what bass you feel is better.. Try to go to a Guitar Store around you, try to see if they have an Ibanez or a Hamer and try them both. I doubt that you will see any Hamer there doh :( From personal view, I would definately go with the Hamer. Hamer is a better quality instrument than Ibanez. I think your friends are saying get the Ibanez is because, they are in to those bands that uses Ibanez. AKA Korn, Limp Bizkit, who's getting endorsed by Ibanez. But personally, I hate Ibanez, except the BTB series, which costs like $1000+. But, the main thing is, its all up to you :) Try what you want and buy what you want :)

DM

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have to agree with the above posts, that the choice is entirely yours! And, where your friends are recommending Ibanez, those are the same dudes who don't know Hamer?

That makes me wonder...why are they recommending against something that they know nothing about? And, what DO they know about Ibanez? It's popularity in certain bands? Why are they popular? It MIGHT be because Ibanez literally pays for their own popularity (ie: endorsements).

One thing you should be careful about endorsements is that often times what you see someone famous playing (or think you're seeing), they're actually not using those instruments! In those advertisements you see, often times the wood is a pro-grade, one you won't find on production models; the neck has a different shape; the electronics are different, and may even not be the same manufacturer of electronics; there might be an onboard preamp difference; etc...

Don't fall prey to advertisements! If you see your favorite bass player playing an instrument, don't assume you'll sound like him or her! It's a hugely dangerous trap, one that manufacturers purposely goad you into buying!

Besides...even if it were the same instrument, most professionals get their sound out of two other components, neither of which you probably have...

1) extremely expensive equipment (amps, PA, effects, etc)
    2) hands

That's right...hands! Their hands are shaped differently, hit the strings differently, have different amounts of fat in the pads, different amounts of sweat on their hands when they play, etc...

So, the bottom line is pick an instrument that's right for you!!! Don't listen to your friends: more often than not, they don't know what they're talking about.

And, in my opinion, Hamer instruments are of better quality, all around, than are Ibanez...

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Like everyone here has said, Its you that is going to pay your hard earned money and be the one who plays the bass, not them. I have both Hamer and Ibanez, The Hamer is a junkie slamer series, but the quality of it still surpases my Ibanez, I also think it has a better tone! If you have a MARS Music in your area check them out, I usually see Hamer's in the one we have down here in Florida.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    As I read all of the above comments, I began to ponder everyone's implied message, that Ibanez is generally not as good a buy as Hamer.

Hmmm....Do we bass players know something that this guy's friends don't? :confused: Or, is it the other way around, that they know something that we don't? ;) :rolleyes:

8. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I would go for the Salas if i were you :D for $919, u can't get a better deal!! I think IMO, its alot better quality then a Ibanez, Hamer or even a Musicman! :D

DM