Hamer Velocity 2 vs Dean Sledge Hammer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JBPbass, Dec 15, 2004.

1. JBPbass

Dec 15, 2004
    I'm new to playing bass and have the chance to buy one of these basses at a really good price. The Hamer Velocity is the Bubinga version with 2 jazz pickups; the Sledge Hammer is Mahogany with one humbucking pickup. Both are 4 strings, virtually new. Since I'm new to playing, I'm not exactly sure what types of music I want to play, so I am looking for some versatility. From some interest research, it seems both are quality instruments. Just looking for advice of which would be better in general and for specific types of music. Thanks.
  2. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i really think the dean is a better made bass, but with a single big pole humbucker in the rear, i think that the Hammer is goin to be more versitile.

The quality on deans in amazing for the price, and the SledgeHammer is a great bass for the price ( im still trying not to dump the money on the 2 pup version of the sledgehammer )

just my 2 cents.

btw, you could always add a J style pup on the
    sledgehammer later if you wanted, dean leaves quite a bit of room in the control cavity.
  3. kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ

I own a 4 Dean Improv and am thinking about a getting 5 sledgehammer. I played one and LOVED it!!!! The sound, the neck is awesome. It is so light for a 5. I really dont care for the looks, but man it sounds amazing. Remember, what ever bass you play, it is HOW you play for a style. Good luck. Joe
  4. JBPbass

Dec 15, 2004
    Thanks a lot for the replies. I appreciate the info. I'll let you know how it goes.
  5. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've played the Hamer Velocity 2 pickup version (Jazz style) at a local music store. It played great, rock solid...but VERY heavy. Great tone. I bet it's going to have a more subdued tone than the sledgehammer and will most definitely be more versatile. But...Dean does make great instruments for the money.
  6. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
  7. kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I thought they only made a 1 pick up version of the sledgehammer. I think I am going to buy one. It is sweet. Later Joe