Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hamer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Jun 3, 2002.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    What do you all know about US made Hamer basses? I'm looking at maybe getting a Hamer 5-string jazz. Any and all info would be great. Thanks.

2. Jiimy

Jiimy

Mar 3, 2002
    Athens AL, USA
    Yeah I'm thinking about buying a Hamer soon, nice US made one. They're really great if you ask me.

3. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah, it's used with EMG pickups instead of the stock ones. I found it online. I'm hoping it sounds good because I have heard the stock pickups (Duncan I think) are pretty sweet.

Are Hamers out of production now or are they still being made? What are the stock tuners like? Thanks.

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I've got a '98 Hamer Cruise with the 2-Tek. Very nice bass - great sound, and thin, smooth neck. Definitely worth the money - and I usually see them sitting in the $500 range.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I had a US Hamer Cruise 5 with the 2-tek bridge. Very nice bass, shouldn't have sold it.

6. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Cool, thanks for all the feedback. I really want this one but I don't know if I can make it happen money wise. Can you still buy these new? Or are they out of production?

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    A local shop (Classic Axe in Manassas, VA) has an Arctic White with brown tortise shell pickguard NOS 2-Tek 5 string Cruise fretless. It's an awesome bass. I test played it, expecting to fall in love, and decided it's not really my style, too trebly and the B string didn't feel as solid as my Dean Edge 5 fretless (and it has those pesky lines). However, the workmanship and quality are perfect. Someone will find it and be very happy.

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    There is a music store near my hometown that is the largest hamer distribution center... They are great... completely handmade. Hamer makes 2 guitars a day.. and the finishes on these things would make a grown man weep. And for the price, you really can't beat them.... I don't own one yet.. but I have several friends who have Hamer guitars...

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I own a USA made Hamer Blitz (Explorer shaped). Nice instrument, well made. Bought it new in the early 80's. I could have gotten the Gibson Explorer for the same money, but after A/B-ing in the store, I thought the Hamer was better made, had a better finish, and I liked the sound better.

10. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
  11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    a friend of mine up here just recently got a hamer velocity 2 bass, and it's really sweet...bubinga body, maple/bubing bolt neck...carved body. it has two j pickups slanted forward like the roscoe 5 strings. sounds awesome. seems like a pretty good deal to me for 750.00.

12. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks, I can't wait to get it.

The only weird thing is that the guy said he bought it new with the EMGs in it but it had to be used, right? Didn't they come stock with Duncan pickups? I hope the EMGs sound as good or better than the stock Duncans.

Thanks for all the awesome info everyone.

13. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Hey Josh. What kind of tuners came stock on US Cruise basses?

14. I used a Hamer Cruise 5 2TEK for about three years in college. It was my only bass and I loved it. I still have it, sitting in the garage. It came stock with Schaller tuners, and Basslines Pickups. The ones on mine were the Active Stack for Jazz Bass.

15. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a buddy of mine who has a nice 4 string US Hamer he is looking to unload. I'll give you his email if you like.

16. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I had a 4, I put EMG and I used a sadowsky preamp, great sounding bass!!
    shouldn't have sold it :(

17. pumo420

pumo420

Nov 2, 2001
    illinois
    :( i was going to bid on that bass but my mom doesnt trust ebay and wouldnt let me bid on it. but its cool i want a hamer to but i cant find any with that 2 tek bridge.

18. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    do they even make 2tek bridges anymore?

19. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I don't know. I'm not too familiar with the 2tek bridge. I've only heard good things. Who made/makes it? What makes it so good and what does it do for the bass?

20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    vivaknoxvegas, great snag. Beautiful bass!

The 2-Tek bridges, as far as I know, are no longer made. Hamer and Peavey (and others?) used them on some of their higher end instruments as OEM, otherwise they were a very expensive and intrusive add-on. They make the bass weigh a ton because of their large metal mass. They have some interesting tonal qualities.