Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

????? hammer on ?????

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by chromhidrosis, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Hey,
    I was looking at a tab online and in the key it said hammer on and i looked through the tab and i had to do it what ever it was. I was woundering what hammer on ment?

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

the way I understand it, a "hammer-on" is getting a note from "hammering-on" w/the same hand you're fretting w/instead of getting a pluck on the string from the other hand. you come down on the string hard against the neck w/the same finger you're fretting it w/and the sound comes from the action rather than fretting a note w/one hand and plucking it w/the other.

hope this helps.

on bass, watt

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Mike pretty much covered it... to put it in tab terms... check this out...

|-------------|
    |-------------|
    |------5h7----|
    |-0-0------0--|

In tabs you'll usually see an "h" in between two notes to represent a hammer-on. As Watt stated, you pretty much play the note without plucking it. The D (5th fret) would be played like a normal note and with that note still ringing out, use another finger on your fretting hand to hammer-on the E (7th fret). I hope we helped out a bit.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    So...do I have to buy a special type of hammer for this? or will any one work :p

5. watt

g,

the finger you fret w/will suffice for a "hammer." be careful...

on bass, watt

6. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    To add to Mike's bang-on answer, the opposite of a hammer-on would be a pull-off. Pulling off from one finger down to another to drop down a note. Often times a slight "flick" helps to draw the note out even stronger.

7. watt

g,

excellent - thank you!

on bass, watt