Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hammer Ons / Pull Offs / Slap

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Dot Your Eyes, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Dot Your Eyes

Dot Your Eyes

Aug 27, 2005
    I've been playing bass for a few months now, and I'd like to figure out how to do hammer ons, pull offs and slap. I haven't the faintest idea how to do any of the above. Any other threads explaining these techniques in a relatively simplistic manner? Like I said, I'm a beginner.

2. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    The Hammer on is where you fret a note, and then with another finger of your fretting hand, you "hammer" down onto the desired fret on the same string, without plucking.

The Pull off is the exact opposite, you fret two notes on the same string, pluck, and then pull the finger closest to the pickups down and off to sound the fretted note behind. Don't pull your finger down too far or you'll strike the string below it.

The slap is where you bring the outside edge of your thumb down almost perpendicular to the string. You strike the string with the thumb and then pull away quickly to allow the note to sound and not be muted. The secret to this is to flick you wrist so it brings your hand down onto the strings and then away again sharply.

Hope this helps.